Share This Page:

Getting fit

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Heffernan

Getting fit

Post by Heffernan »

Well Im hoping to join the RAF, going to sit my written test some time next week and fingers crossed i pass. Well Im not fat or overweight, but I am not fit either. I have been given a leaflet by the AFCO, and it has a 6 week plan init on how to get fit, and was wondering does it actually get you fit enough? As whats on it doesnt seem to be a great deal if you understand what i mean, so could you tell me does it work?

Heffernan
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

To be honest, you're not in a position to question the qualified advice given to you by the AFCO, now are you? You're not an expert and clearly not a spoorts & fitness type.
So let me assure you (and of course I don't know what's on the plan) but a 1 mile run, yes just 1 mile, every day for six weeks will work wonders, believe me.

Going to a gym and lifting excessive weights for 6 weeks will not improve your overall aerobic condition, you won't lose weight, you'll simply build
muscle.

Training isn't about the rapid and sudden onset of excessive exercise as a training regime prior to joining, it's about regular exercise both aerobic and anaerobic. In simple terms if you don't have access to a fitness club or training equipment - aerobic: running,cycling,swimming. Anaerobic: sit ups, chin ups, push ups, dips & other muscle resistance exercises you can do at home.
Heffernan

Post by Heffernan »

London Boy wrote:To be honest, you're not in a position to question the qualified advice given to you by the AFCO, now are you? You're not an expert and clearly not a spoorts & fitness type.
So let me assure you (and of course I don't know what's on the plan) but a 1 mile run, yes just 1 mile, every day for six weeks will work wonders, believe me.

Going to a gym and lifting excessive weights for 6 weeks will not improve your overall aerobic condition, you won't lose weight, you'll simply build
muscle.

Training isn't about the rapid and sudden onset of excessive exercise as a training regime prior to joining, it's about regular exercise both aerobic and anaerobic. In simple terms if you don't have access to a fitness club or training equipment - aerobic: running,cycling,swimming. Anaerobic: sit ups, chin ups, push ups, dips & other muscle resistance exercises you can do at home.
Ok, im planning on getting a all in one gym, and use it for about an hour day doing little weights but lots of reps both my legs and body, and getting a bike.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Heffernan wrote:
London Boy wrote:To be honest, you're not in a position to question the qualified advice given to you by the AFCO, now are you? You're not an expert and clearly not a spoorts & fitness type.

muscle.

Ok, im planning on getting a all in one gym, and use it for about an hour day doing little weights but lots of reps both my legs and body, and getting a bike.
Good, but don't overly focus on bodybuilding. Getting your general level of aerobic fitness improved will benefit you far more than bulging muscles.
Heffernan

Post by Heffernan »

London Boy wrote:
Heffernan wrote:

muscle.

Good, but don't overly focus on bodybuilding. Getting your general level of aerobic fitness improved will benefit you far more than bulging muscles.
Ok, im starting the program today even though i havent even took the first test, but i want to get fit anyway,so im going to do the 1.5miles and see what my time is.