Share This Page:

Finally made my mind up!

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
The Stig

Finally made my mind up!

Post by The Stig »

Hi all!

The Stig has returned! (been away filming top gear lol!!!)

Over the half term we've just had at 6th form i've finally decided to join the RAF 110% now! i was looking at civilian air traffic control, granted the wages are better but ive been in the RAF lifestyle "behind the wire" for 16 of my 18 years ive been alive! And the two years living in civi street i havent enjoyed!

I'm not enjoying A-levels and my dad (Ex-RAF) has convinced me not to drop out like i was planning to as the RAF will not like that wen they ask why i left 6th form! so ive got to stick it out till may :-( but my motivation to keep me going will be hopefully joining the RAF!

I called the RAF careers hotline and they said that i wont be able to start applying till the end of march incase it clashes with my June exams! I'm going to call my local AFCO tomorrow to see if i cant apply abit earlier!?

I'm going for WSOp Crewman and Air Traffic Controller as my 2nd choice! i think the RAF call it a Flight Operations Assistant!??

Does anyone know what will happen if i dont get WSOp but get offered ATC what will happen with my appitude results and stuff like that for WSOp. As i have to go to Cranwell to do them for WSOp and the ATC ones will be for airmen/airwomen so what will happen there will i have to do them again??!

Regards

The Stig :D
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I should probably point out that you can't actually apply for Crewman, you can only apply for generic WSOp, then when you finish the aircrew course you get streamed, so you could end up as an AEOp (looking at radars etc...) of some description. Make sure this is something you have thought about and read up on before you make your final choice.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

also, my understanding is that Air Traffic Control recruitment is currently halted as the job evaluation teams assess whether it should be a continued trade? The nearest equivalent that you can currently apply for is Aerospace Systems Operator.... similar but different........
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

But don't let us put you off!
:lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Hyperlithe wrote:But don't let us put you off!
:lol:
haha dont worry it hasnt put me off!

so what you said before: i put WSOp as my first choice but is it based on my aptitude. leadership qualities etc. that determines what section of the WSOp trade i go into?!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Putting a little effort in to your spelling would not go amiss.
Capitalise,as said previously this is not your Nokia.
How you doing Hype's?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Stig, yes, all of those things, but mostly where there are vacancies. For example, if we need more loadies than AEOps at the time your course finishes, then you're lots more likely to get what you want. But don't worry about it, you would probably find you enjoyed either job, just have an open mind about it.

Wholley - I've only got 2 weeks till my major exam, it's scary!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Major exam? I didn't even know you were an officer!...............Ma'am.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Rouge, it`s like an internal MOT test for women, silly :roll:
Never mind him Hypes, it`s probably the Sun.
Er, no Hypers, not the newspaper :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It's something to do with StanAgs actually H, but let's not go there eh!

Am also hoping to sign the contract for my house sometime this week!
:drinking:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

When you are talking about being a crewman is that a loadmaster. Did you know that a C17 has a crew of three people, two pilots and a loadmaster. So what member of the crew do you hope to be.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Sounds like a tail gunner to me matey 8)

A woman of property at last 8) Good luck mate :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Tab wrote:When you are talking about being a crewman is that a loadmaster. Did you know that a C17 has a crew of three people, two pilots and a loadmaster. So what member of the crew do you hope to be.
well they have on the RAF website WSOp crewman and theres loads of options you could be in such as a winchmen on a sea king, C-17 like u said umm helicopter crewman aiding the pilot with navigation etc.! im just hoping to get in as a WSOp not fussed were i end up but would like to be on fixed wing aircraft!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Much of the Sea Kings work is over water and these they will use GPS or be radar guided.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Tab wrote:Much of the Sea Kings work is over water and these they will use GPS or be radar guided.
i no that but they need crewman to go down on a wire to rescue people that are injured i guess!