Share This Page:

Swedish elite units

General information on Military History.
London Boy

Swedish elite units

Post by London Boy »

Working as I do for the Swedish MoD, I thought some of you might be
interested in some info about Swedish elite units

The ranks in the Swedish armed forces are still conscripts, who usually
only serve between 8 and 15 months.But this is due to change in the next couple of years because the vast majority doing national service nowadays have sought it. Nowadays no one does national service in Sweden that doesn't want to do it. The National Service Board has basically said, "training is expensive and we want to be able to pick the best out of the people that want to do it" And the MoD has said that within the next couple of years Sweden will convert to a professional standing armed forces.

So that in mind the following applies to the officers only. As it would be ridiculous to call a conscript an elite soldier, serving only for a year or so.

Kustjägare = Coastal Rangers - their role and training are very similar to that of the SBS - they are the most elite squadron of the Amfibiebataljon, which is basically naval infantry, which in turn is part of the Amfibieregement, which has all sorts of fast attack, raiding and landing craft. In fact, probably the most elite regular unit of all the Swedish armed forces.

Fjälljägare = Mountain Commandos - these are the equivalent of the RM Mountain & Arctic Warfare Cadre.

Flybasjägare = Airbase Rangers are like a mixture of RAF Regiment gunners and Paras. http://www.f17.mil.se/article.php?id=14440
Some pictures of Flygbasjägare

Sweden doesn't have a speciffic Parachute Regiment - only a parachute training school, where the conscripts who choose to can train and serve as paratroopers during their national service.
Instead many Regiments have parachute companies. Officers from all regiments can take parachute training. And then on returning to their home regiment serve as paratroopers on the Parachute Company.

Now the Swedish Special Forces. These two are in effect the only true elite units. They come directly under the CIC of the armed forces. The difference with these two is that the men and NCOs are not conscripts as in the rest of the Swedish armed forces but are all employed, just like the officers, which is why I said they are the only true elite units.

SSF (Swedish Special forces)

The SSG (Särskild SkyddsGruppen) = Special Protection Group
This is bascially the same as the SAS. Tasked specifically by the MoD via the CIC to, for example, protect civilians overseas, rescue hostages, POWs, or fight to secure locations. All these guys get SAS / SEAL training.

The SIG (Särskild InhämtningsGruppen) = Special Intelligence Group.
Linked to the SSG, also a fighting unit but primary role is to go in, get info, and fight their way out. Again all para trained and all with SAS /SEAL type training.

Some SSG and SIG are currently on active service in a certain part of Asia. But if I tell you where I'll then have to come and kill you :wink: