Share This Page:

Basic Training Question

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
HMK

Post by HMK »

Think it's the same thing thundersafety :D

Been looking through the practise book they give me and some of the stuff I haven't done since school. Fractions and formulas....... :-? And there is a memory test! Good job I've got that brain training on my girlfriends Nintendo DS! :D :D :D
HMK

Post by HMK »

Took the test yesterday and smashed it! Well pleased! Got my Selection Interview on Thursday.

Been given all the info and pointers from one of the recruiters but anyone got any tips? I know it's mainly about me and what I know about the RAF and the RAF Regiment but any advice would be most welcolme! :D
harvey

Post by harvey »

make sure to know all about the pgac, and all about the TG course, memorise a lot of different RAF bases you could be based, and also where you could be posted abroad. For example i was asked for 7 different RAF bases that I could be based at. They asked about my childhood, what clubs im in / have been in, if i was ever a member of air cadettes etc. Basic warfare knowledge, like why are we at Falkland Islands etc. Also they like to recruit people who are looking for a career not just a job, so they are impressed if you have had a long term interest in the trade.

They start it off easy like age of family members etc, so you gradually progress into more in-depth questions.

Good luck mate, its not as hard as you might think, just do lots of revision beforehand, and go in there confidently.
HMK

Post by HMK »

Cheers for that harvey, got loads of stuff off the RAF Website and the RAF Regiment site too.

Just worrying about nothing I suppose :D
HMK

Post by HMK »

Passed my interview today!!!! :D :D

Got to go back on Thursday for a medical.

Can't get on a c@#t 22nd January though, well gutted! :(

Anyone let me know what goes on in the medical? :-?
harvey

Post by harvey »

Well done mate, not so bad is it :D

22nd of January seems like a long wait, but nevermind its more time to improve your fitness.

On the medical they check weight, height, eyesight, hearing, piss test, you strip down and they check for anything abnormal, and the rest i cant think of.
Pretty simple, just got to hope your not unlucky with eyesight etc.

Good luck.
HMK

Post by HMK »

It's ok, just had loads of info floating around in my head and I didn't use half of it! :D :D

Medical sounds ok, I wear glasses to read and watch tv etc so no worries there I should think, and don't think i've got anything abnormal.... :-? :D

22nd is not too bad, hopefully pass the PGAC then go into training in February!
harvey

Post by harvey »

I failed on the PGAC due to the 3 mile run, I guess running at 9am or so didnt agree with me, i was dissapointed at the time. But now iv been given a start date to for training to be a mechanical transport driver, so its all good :D
HMK

Post by HMK »

You'll be up earlier than that in basic training I would think mate! :D
harvey

Post by harvey »

haha yer iv started doing morning runs, there a pain in the ass, but at least ill be ready this time :D. I under-estimated the PGAC, but i know what sort of thing to expect now.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

hmmm 9am runs...
anyway you should be chewing that up and spitting it out on the gunner course.Fitness is your bread and butter almost in the infantry. my time there most days at 7.30 or 8am were in the gym or out on runs or marches.
'Every man an Emperor'
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

HMK wrote:Passed my interview today!!!! :D :D

Got to go back on Thursday for a medical.

Can't get on a c@#t 22nd January though, well gutted! :(

Anyone let me know what goes on in the medical? :-?

Well done for getting to this stage mate wont be too long now!

I think im just going to keep working on fitness and revising!
Last edited by thundersafety on Mon 17 Dec, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HMK

Post by HMK »

Cheers thundersafety, hopefully get into basic training by February.

January isn't too long really is it.

When you hoping to get away? :D
HMK

Post by HMK »

Passed the medical Thursday, next step PGAC! :D

Any advice or tip's very welcome!!! 8)
harvey

Post by harvey »

keep your water bottle full up after the gym session. Make sure that during the overnight stay not to loose your rifle, the staff wil try to steal it, and good luck on getting that into the heads of the other people there, my group got about 10 rifles stolen in the short period of time we were setting up camp, and naturally we all got punished for it. Just dont do any big screw up to draw attention to yourself. Don't fidget around when you are told to stand to attention, and proove it to them how bad you want to join during the tab. Can't think what else we did drastically wrong, but I'm sure it would be impossible for a whole group to go through the PGAC without some screw ups.

Good luck and have fun, even though I didn't pass it, it was a great laugh, and the people there seemed friendly.