Share This Page:

Japanese Blades

General information on Military History.
jabcrosshook

Japanese Blades

Post by jabcrosshook »

I was bored so I thought I'd show you my Japanese blades, and before anyone says anything I'm not crazy or get turned on by weapons.
They are all functional blades in the sense that they have full tangs and are the same design as what would have been used on a Japanese battlefield.

Firstly is my latest addition to my collection, this is a Katana with a Kanji inscription, I have forgotten what it says. :roll:
The blades with its Saya.
The inscription.
Here I'm trying to show you how thin the blade is, but you haven't got anything to compare it with, it's about as thin as thick paper.

The following blade is a Wakizashi, it's shorter than a Katana, this blade would have been carried everywhere by the Samurai, on the battlefield it would have been used if you couldn't use your Katana anymore, ie it's been broken.
The following picture is of the Tsuba, as you can see it has a lion on it.

The following blade is another Katana, it was my first blade and my favourite. It isn't a live blade(sharp) anymore as I had to make it blunt for training and insurance purposes until I was compitent enough to use the sharp ones, but this doesn't mean it's not dangerous, it still has a point, which would qite happily go straight through you, and the blade edge would still break bones and tear flesh. :o

The following picture shows all 3 blades in their sayas so you can get an idea of their length.(Notice Mr sheen)
The handles on the two larger blades are longer than what they would originally be because of western hands are bigger than those of an Asian.

The following article tells you how the katana are made traditionally,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana_con ... ion_katana
Mine were not entireley made this way.
The wakizashi is produced in a different style and I can't find a good article on it.
Any questions just ask.
Last edited by jabcrosshook on Fri 07 Sep, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Beautifull hardware... :D
Tab

Post by Tab »

But wheres the fork and spoon
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Where`s the forken spoon?
How should I forken know 8)

Nice blades there Jabbers, imitations obviously. Very good imitations all the same though. Down here there are antique shops which ocasionally have rare examples of the real thing from the twenties and thirties. They weigh nothing and truly are an extension of the arm They live.
Beyond curiousity value, I wouldn`t buy one. I don`t need one and have no use for one.

The old Pusser`s jacknife was replaced by a better and lighter Normark Big Swede in it`s leather case and that was all the knife I needed till I came down here. Realised I needed summat with a bit more welly.
Never one to buy kit for kit`s sake, I have looked long and hard at what was available versus my knowlege/experiance and as a general purpose survival/wilderness knife there aren`t many better than the Wilkinson Sword Pusser`s version.
Elsewhere on these wonderfull forums I posted this, last March.
Heyup,
I`m looking for a decent general purpose machete-style bush knife.
Bit bigger than the old Wilkinson survival or the old Gollack.
I want to use it for clearing bush, cutting firewood, preparing kindling, making A-Frame shelters, skinning and cutting up game and cutting the heads off Japanese soldiers.

I`ve seen one for twenty five dollars, surplus, called a Fury Bushwacker and they look exactly what I`m after.
They sharpen up a treat and hold an edge for ages and come with a decent nylon frog/pooch.
Anyone else using owt similar?

Same outfit make a Kukri style version, still for 25 bucks, not bad hey? Less than a tenner 8)

Unquote.

Got one a few weeks ago 8) Very nice tool, well balanced and comfortable and good for all my needs in the bush. Yee Har :wink: Mrs Aitch not best pleased at my hacking and slashing efforts in the garden, but :roll:
Who cares 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Very nice harry 8)
Nice blades there Jabbers, imitations obviously. Very good imitations all the same though.
Depends what you mean by imitations, the Wakizashi is made in the same way that the feudel japanese blacksmith would have made them, the two katanas aren't folded blades but are still made from high carbon steal, none of that stainless steal rubbish. :roll:
Fully functional, with full tang, their no toy or all hanging piece, they are made as if they were meant to be used and have been used for tamishigiri, they could quite happily go through somone, if used correctly. :wink:
The decorations of the blades are based on real blades used by the samurai.
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

JCH.

Were did you buy these Gilettes ; And how much?

Not that i'm planing too buy something like it(just bought a house :-? ), just interested if you don't mind. There's alot of work put in to those pieces of steel.. :o

I'm happy with my Gerber! Does ears, nails, beers etc... :-? :(
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Well I got them off a guy who has them made, he designs them and he has bladesmiths who make them, they left a company called Paul Chen Blades, they felt Paul Chen was forcing the bladesmiths to work faster so he could maximise profits regardless of quality.
I payed £65 for the Wakizashi which was meant to be £150(I think).
£90 for the Katana with inscription which wasn't to be sold yet so he didn't have the full price.
And £100 for the other Katana, whish was a £250 model as there are only 25 in the world made like that, it's amazing what you can get when you know people.
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Now i'm not so happy with my Gerber. I think it costed almost £60.. :-?
SO19

Post by SO19 »

As soon as I saw the Mr Sheen I knew they were presentation only. :wink:

Edit: Ok, just re-read it ref immitations, so why are you using Mr. Sheen mate instead of oil? I have a Katana, will post some pics later.
Last edited by SO19 on Sat 08 Sep, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

harry hackedoff wrote:
Nice boomarang maaaate!! :lol:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

SO19 wrote:As soon as I saw the Mr Sheen I knew they were presentation only. :wink:

Edit: Ok, just re-read it ref immitations, so why are you using Mr. Sheen mate instead of oil? I have a Katana, will post some pics later.
I found it on the side so next to me so thought I'd show everyone the size of them compard to mr sheen.
I do use oil I just had cleaned it off for the pictures.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Trust you to go for the bent one, James :roll:
Whacked yer chit in for mortars yet mate?

Jabbers, would you like to tell the class about your cleaning fetish? Mr fugging Sheen 8)

Those blades from the 20`s and 30`s I mentioned were taken as war trophies.Prices have gone through the roof lately. Real antiques are priceless.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Yes real antiques are priceless.
I got to hold a WW2 sword once, which had been used and you could tell by the mark on the blade, quite a weird feeling holding it.
I like to think as mine as not imitations but just not as old.
I see imitations as cheap stainless steel blades, with a rat-tail tang, and machine made, it does worry me at times that these are readily available for for the general public.
dayrider

Post by dayrider »

original katana blade made by a weaponsmith

10.000-25000$

if I had money I would buy it
baton

Post by baton »

The weapons are great!
They must be very expensive!