Share This Page:

Breakdown of joining the paras

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
jabcrosshook

Breakdown of joining the paras

Post by jabcrosshook »

Does anyone have a breakdown of the process of getting into the parachute regiment from putting in your application right until you've done your jumps and your in the regiment, fully qualified, as I can't find a breakdown for the life of me and I'm unsure of the entire process and when P Coy is and etc.
After yesterdays As exam results I know for 100% that I'm not returning to school so this info would be helpful.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Ok, from memory an off the top of my head it goes something like this.

1: Hand in application form once this is done you will be given a date for your BARB test.

2: You'll complete your BARB test and also a basic English and Maths assessment. If you pass this then you will be put forward for interview.

3: Interview with your recruiting Sgt and then you'll speak to the OC of the AFCO, where he will make sure you know about what regiment you've joined and make sure that it's the regiment you want to join and not just the one the guy on the front desk told you to join.

4: If you pass the inteview stage you application will then be put forward and you will have to then wait for your security clearence to come through before you will be given a date for ADSC.

5: ADSC, here you will be given a full medical when you arrive and if you pass and are not deferred (which happens to lots of guys) then you will go on to do the strength tests which are as follows:

Jerry can walk, heaves, static lift, dynamic lift and a back extension test (can't think of what that ones called) These are all pretty easy.

On the morning of the second day you do your BFT, a slight warm up then 1.5miles best effort, for Paras the cut off time is 9:18min usually. Afterwards you go on to do the Command Tasks, which are a series of tests to see how well you work as part of a team and to see if you can display initiative and leadership skills, you are marked on your performance on each of the tasks. There is also a grenade test which will cover questions which you were given the answers to on the first day when you arrived.

Then you have an interview with one of the Officers and they will tell you whether you've passed or failed.

6: If you've successfully completed ADSC you will then be given a start date for basic training up at ITC Catterick.

7: 1st week you will do a BFT again, Trinasium, and an introduction to the gym etc...

8: Week 6 is your first aim point which is passing off the square and getting to swap your cnut cap for the maroon beret and getting your long weekend.

9: Week 12 is the next aim point as this is the end of phase 1 basic training IIRC and you will get a week off. When you get back you start your skill to arm training which I'm told is were you get to do the more gucci side of training and training for P Company will intensify.

10: I believe P Company is week 20 although it could be wekk 19-20 but that hardly matters really.

11: Week 26, if you've made it this far, is your Passout Parade.

After this you are sent to your Battalion who will then book you on the next avaliable jumps course for which you will go to RAF Brieze Norton to do your 4 week jumps course.

There maybe minor things wrong with what I've put there or missed out but nothing drastic.

It actually took me longer than I thought to type all that so I hope it helps :lol:
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

No probs matey
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Yeah, I reckon there might be a few other things to cover between weeks 1-26!! :lol:
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

one or two :o
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
Skeav

Post by Skeav »

Steve, you passed out yet mate? Also is it true they've extended the course?

Cheers

"Matt"
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Greenronnie wrote:Yeah, I reckon there might be a few other things to cover between weeks 1-26!! :lol:
Yeah, but, no, but, yeah but I was thinking about OPSEC ha ha! :P
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Alfa wrote:Yeah, but, no, but, yeah but I was thinking about OPSEC ha ha! :P
Good thinking, flower. :wink:

There might be a few cheeky thrashings between weeks 1-26 which havn't been mentioned. As some might say, "Ready for Anything". 8)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

I wasn't too bothered about the small painful details, just the "main" events and stepping stones.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Alfa wrote:
Greenronnie wrote:Yeah, I reckon there might be a few other things to cover between weeks 1-26!! :lol:
Yeah, but, no, but, yeah but I was thinking about OPSEC ha ha! :P
Don't make me laugh! There's nothing in your recruit training that will endanger Opsec, especially the things we are talking about here! Never mind about those gay little tests that are set for you before you get to Recruit Company, worry more about getting through every day once you get there!! :roll:
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Greenronnie wrote:Don't make me laugh! There's nothing in your recruit training that will endanger Opsec, especially the things we are talking about here! Never mind about those gay little tests that are set for you before you get to Recruit Company, worry more about getting through every day once you get there!! :roll:
You do realise I was kidding don't you? I just used the little Britain bit and the bit about OPSEC as a joke (obviously not a very funny one but...) for why I'd missed so much out. I guess I must have sounded like a right mong if you thought I meant it seriously :oops:

I was just giving a quick list to give him some idea, like he asked for, it was never intended to be a full list of Para training.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Alfa wrote:I guess I must have sounded like a right mong if you thought I meant it seriously :oops:

I was just giving a quick list to give him some idea, like he asked for, it was never intended to be a full list of Para training.
Yeah, well it's a bit difficult to decipher some of the younger people's posts on this site sometimes! Must be getting old eh? :drinking:

My point was that you were concentrating on the pre recruit training bit, then you just pass P Coy and get your wings! Just a couple of hurdles to get over in between innit!! :lol:
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Doesn't matter, I wasn't going to think that you just passed P Coy and then got your wings. :lol: And I understand all of it's going to be hard work, especially day to day survival. All I wanted to know was how it was set out, because I didn't know when P Coy was and if you did your jumps before or after you passed out.
Here's another thing, at the moment I can't drive, would it be advisable to learn to drive before trying to join?
My main concern is getting to ITC Catterick, is there a train station near by with good buses? or will driving be better, but the down side to that is the cost of driving, where as on the train and bus there's the problem of carrying all your stuff around with you.
Plus don't they pay for your train ticket too?
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Greenronnie wrote:
Alfa wrote:I guess I must have sounded like a right mong if you thought I meant it seriously :oops:

Yeah, well it's a bit difficult to decipher some of the younger people's posts on this site sometimes! Must be getting old eh? :drinking:

My point was that you were concentrating on the pre recruit training bit, then you just pass P Coy and get your wings! Just a couple of hurdles to get over in between innit!! :lol:
Yeah, I agree it's sometimes hard to tell if someones joking or just being stupid when you're just simply reading it on a forum and sometimes I guess I do come out with complete crap which probably doesn't help! :lol:

The reason I concentrated mostly on the beginning bit was I thought that would be of more relevance to him as he'll find out about the training when he gets there and secondly, I don't know enough about the various exercises etc... to have added them in as milestones so just outlined the main bits to give a bit of an idea of the time scale.

But on reflection I think maybe I should have added "by the way the course if fecking NAILS!!" :o :lol:

@jabcrsshook

Don't worry about driving to Catterick as you can't take your car anyway when you first start training, the army will pay for your train ticket to Darlington were you'll be met by some of the platoon staff and you'll then be taken up to the camp on one of the coaches.