Share This Page:

Can anyone identify this Commando insignia please?

General information on Military History.
got1

Post by got1 »

Tab the belt that lad is wearing I think is the plastic one that came in a roll, you cut off the required length and were given the slides and buckles.
I'm not 100% sure but I think it was 78pat.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Got 1 I will have to take take your word on that as I have never seen one, but at first glance it looked like the old jungle green kit which we had during the 50's, but on a closer look it is not quite right for that. I must say i liked that old jungle green kit, as we never had to blanco it, what a relief
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

got1 wrote:Wholey, I earned my GSM and Bar and they were certainly not for undetected crime but for ducking bullets. :evil:
The BAR is for NI and medal was issued for Saudi Arabia, on the reverse it says For Campaign Service, not for undetected crime.
Touchy Touchy.
Do y'all have your sense of humor removed before or after you go to Depot? :D
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Hi All.

Sorry if I'm causing a bit of confusion! :-?

Got1 - The jacket with insignia, photos, belt and attestation all came from the effects of a gentleman who died about 2 months ago. The lad in the photo is this gentleman. They were acquired by a trader who bought them as a job lot. The trader buys and sells all sorts and doesn't know much about the deceased gentleman as it was just another deal for him.

I was attracted to the jacket because I must confess I was hoping the wings might be a moth :oops: in which case they would be worth around £50 had they been original. They would in that case have gone in to my personal collection. I've now dismissed that possibility.

Tab - This belt belonged to this soldier. Does this look like your jungle green webbing? Image

There's another photo as well.

Thanks to everyone who's taken so much time and obviously a lot of thought in to my enquiry. :soldier_thumbs_up:
got1

Post by got1 »

Wholley,
I do get touchy touchy when you show disrespect to mates and other lads that lost there lifes earning there GSMs, especially showing also your ignorance in the fact that they were also earned in NI.
As regards my sense of humour being left in the depot ,PUFO.

TopCat, the belt show have show is a 58 pat belt wich comes off the 58 pat webbing. This would not be worn with No2 dress but with a smock.
Tab

Post by Tab »

TomCat.......The Jungle Green webbing we had did not have any holes down the middle of it, mind you I am going 50 years.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

That web belt is from 58 pattern fighting order which lasted till the SA 80 was widespread and the chest rig was issued sometime early nineties.

The green placky belt yon Para is wearing is as stated previously, a device to hold yer trousers up, cut from a roll, seal the ends with a hot iron etc.

GSM/NSM, been around since 1923/3 ish. Generally issued for "minor" campaigns:roll:, subsequent campaigns are marked by the issue of bars. You`d be surprised how many have been issued, including a GSM for service in Vietnam :o

You`ve got two lots of shit here mate, one from mid fifties, heli phots, attestation etc and one from at least early 80`s :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rover

Post by Rover »

More interesting than Time Team. :D

Still go for the Australian Owen SMG.
Vertical mag and forward grip.
Barrel length 9.8", a third of the overall length of the weapon.

Malayan Emergency 1950's.
Jungle hats worn then.

Second photograph.
Again Malaya 1950's?
Sten gun.

Also any views on what is held by person on the right?
Container for 2" morter bombs??

Regarding GSM 1962. Clasp awarded for;

Borneo, Radfan, South Arabia, Malay Peninsula, South Vietnam,

Northen Ireland, Dhofar, Lebanon, Mine Clearance Gulf of Suez,

Kuwait, N Iraq and S Turkey, Air Operations Iraq.

I am aware that Royal Marines have served in at least six of the above areas and have earned the relevant clasp.
Know of at least one Royal Marine who was entitled to another clasp, but was never there! 8)

Would have thought that some Royal Marines would also have the Kuwait and N Iraq S Turkey clasp.

Rover
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

got1 wrote:Wholley,
I do get touchy touchy when you show disrespect.
Gotter's,
There was and never will be any disrepect to those serving or have served in any of my posts.
If you feel Iv'e insulted you then I apologise.
My Grand-Pa,My Father,Myself and soon,My Son have served in one capacity or another.(My Boy wants to be a Royal Marine,But thats for another post).

Wholley.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Rover did you miss my post from over the page? The helis are westland whirlwinds mk3s which first flew 1959,
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Wholley"][quote="got1"]Wholley,
I do get touchy touchy when you show disrespect.
[/quote]

Gotter's,
There was and never will be any disrepect to those serving or have served in any of my posts.
If you feel Iv'e insulted you then I apologise.
My Grand-Pa,My Father,Myself and soon,My Son have served in one capacity or another.(My Boy wants to be a Royal Marine,But thats for another post).

Wholley.[/quote]
Wholley, sorry mate but you did wind me up. Apology accepted.
We did lose a few , in one day we lost 22 guys (not from my reg but in all units).
Have a look at Britains Small Wars .
As regards your boy wanting to be a Royal Marine, My nephew joined and is now serving. My sister told me that when he was born the nurse dropped him on his head :lol:
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hello Harry,

Yes noted your post. But check JR's re the S55/Westland Whirlwind MK1. this also flew 'with four' and well prior to 1959. :wink:

The owen was still in use then, 40,000 produced in WWII. Even seen in Borneo used by Australian troops although they tended to carry the SLR or AR15 rather than the Enfield Mk5.
:D

Rover
got1

Post by got1 »

I thought the choppers were Westland Whirlwinds as I did a few drops from them as a buckshee in the 60s. Smashing, like drop from the balloon but with noise. :)
_chris

Post by _chris »

Harry are you sure that what you have shown as a Whirlwind Mk 1 isn't in fact a Wessex Mk 1 based on the S-58, I thought this when I first saw it and checking its serial (as I read XL 722) on the web shows it as a Wessex.

http://avia.russian.ee/helicopters_eng/west_wessex.php

This is a Whirlwind HAR 1, which looks like the aircraft in the photo, which entered early fifties I believe, based on the S-55.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_W ... ry_wing%29

I'm not claiming to be an expert on such things, but its what I thought when I first read through this thread, and my quick check on the web seems to support it. If I'm wrong I'll gladly accept it, but just thought I should check.
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

got1 wrote:Goldie, the green lanyard is for 3 Para and the GSM could be for NI.
Thanks Tab :D
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"