Share This Page:

More Help Required

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
jos

More Help Required

Post by jos »

More help required:

I have an oppo out here in Africa (ex- army-sniper) who still suffering from PTSD.
He younger than me (I'm now officially classified as an old git ex-royal).
I myself have also suffered the usual symptoms, nightmares, flashbacks and a really weird symptom was that sometimes I used to see people faces in crowds, who I have killed or seen killed. A bit lke seeing ghosts.
I have also fought several times in other people's wars outside the mob, civvie street being too tame for me.
So I really know what he is talking about.
I never saw anyone myself or had treatment but have come through okay and it's only occasionally I get the odd nightmare, liveable but the price you pay.

He knows that I'm the only one he can talk to out here about this.
Here in Africa we are isolated.
He is still going through the same classical symptoms - nightmares, swamping the bed, violence when drunk, mood swings and loss of temper.
I have tried to get him to see someone but he rarely goes back to blighty. He knows he has a problem but are very limited in facilities here. He does not have access to a computer.
Is there anything else I can do other than keep talking to him?
John/Sandy Ruane

more help required

Post by John/Sandy Ruane »

Jos
let him do the talking, you do the listening.
You can give empathy because you have "been there too". Try and get him to cut down on the booze, difficult I know, but it will only make things worse. Have you got a good doctor who would understand this kind of thing as he sounds in a bad way ?In the end all you can do is be there for him. But remember if you are taking all this on yourself, you need support as you may end up feeling fairly crap too. It can rub off you know, so ensure you "look after " your needs in order to help him, as you are so isolated.
Good luck
Sandy
jos

Post by jos »

Sandy,
thanks for the quick responce.
The doctors here are local so they are not really any good when it comes to this sort of thing. Good for malaria though.
Your right about it rubbing off sometimes but I'm okay.
The mind plays some strange tricks at times but bootie humour always see me through.
I'n not giving up talking with him as he's my oppo here, it's just that at times I don't know what more I can do?

Regards JOS
SYB

Post by SYB »

Jos
Check your PM's.
Simon
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]