Share This Page:

A trip to the park

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
SYB

A trip to the park

Post by SYB »

A trip to the Park
"Care in the community?"

It was a lovely sunny autumn afternoon when we decided to take a trip to a local park situated close to the banks of the River Ouse. It was a peaceful place set in a typical English village overlooked by a church that had witnessed hundreds of events.
A time like this to anyone who has spent time away from his or her children seems so precious and valuable.
The bonding between father and his children should never be dismissed or taken for granted. Values, goals, ambition, boundaries of life and love all come from this foundation of play and care. Thought provoking memories that will live with a child for the rest of their adult life.

Walking into the park I noticed that the play equipment had recently been replaced owing to the fact that previous play equipment had been burnt to the ground.
But, "hey" at least it had been replaced and my children were oblivious to it. The smiles on their faces made me forget my own problems for a brief period. Round and round they went on the spinning wheel as they cried for me to push it faster!
Other families were in the park and I felt at ease for a short period. The sound of children laughing and talking helped me into this zone of comfort. Parents seemed at ease and relaxed as they watched over their children.
Suddenly it went silent.
My children seemed to notice something as the expressions on their faces showed concern. I turned and looked towards the entrance of the low fence that surrounded us. I couldn’t help but notice him?
A white male in his thirties and scraggily dressed stumbled through the gate. He was shouting and muttering and at first my initial thoughts were that he was drunk. He walked towards us as I noticed the fear in the eyes of my children. Everyone in the park had noticed him and seemed spellbound by his presence.
It soon became apparent that he had server mental problems as he shouted and spat out. My son and daughter were very frightened and said, "lets go, lets go".
I tried to reassure them and positioned myself between them and the male.
He quickly shuffled towards the swings and a grandmother started to make a hasty retreat with her two children. The anguish in her face outlined how everyone in the park felt. This male had snatched the comfort zone from everyone in the park.
He hardly seemed capable of looking after himself and seemed oblivious to everyone around him as he sat on a swing spitting and shouting to himself..
To say he was unpredictable was an understatement!
Nobody in the park wanted to react. My wife who is a nurse raised her concerns on where he had come from, so I took out my mobile and called the local Police in order to try and find out whether he had absconded from a local care unit? Was somebody looking for him? Who was supposed to be looking after him? I didn't know and neither did the Police.
The male began walking off towards the river as people gave him a wide berth.
"Please don’t go and jump in the River," I thought to myself. The Police were busy and would send someone as soon as they could. They couldn’t work miracles on the resources available.
I told the operator I wasn’t going to do anything or even try and speak to the male. He was unpredictable and I didn’t know whether he was carrying anything?
Parents in the park saw me on my phone and seemed relieved that I was doing something.
By now my wife had taken the children from the park and I lost site of the male as he wondered off.
My children were frightened badly by the very presence of this man, as were the many others? Should someone as unpredictable as him be allowed to wander around?
He reminded me of a mentally disturbed child I had come across in Iraq. Thankfully the locals on this occasion decided not to stone him? But will it come to this?

Care in the community? He is in the community but nobody seems to care?

The answer that many silent PTSD sufferers seek is no more trips, Let alone care! Dont do it.
Talk and write it helps.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

And the next question is?????????

What was he in??????

Pound to a pinch ex something or other.

Sad to say the other day he could have been watching your back.

I sat on the jury of the young lad who was killed at the supermarket in Plympton.
He'd seen a robber gave chase, the robber stopped, turned and hit the lad.
Dead!

History ex army PTSD, money problems, turned to stealing.

Ended up inside and has since died, can't remember what from or how.

It's called care in the community. Where years ago, not that many, they closed the (for want of better words) lunny bins and kicked them all out onto the street.

These people (like servicemen) were institusionalised.
A lot could not look after themselves so down they went...............

How close?????????

SyY
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]