Share This Page:

UK Historical Research Work Sought

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
JonathanJJL

UK Historical Research Work Sought

Post by JonathanJJL »

Hi,

I am posting this message because I am currently looking for paid historical research work, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help and/or advise me.

Although I am already self-employed, my company, of which I am a co-director, is still taking off, and may, in my view, take at least one year if not longer to generate a significant profit. Therefore, I am currently looking for any other work that would help me to support myself in the meantime.

Whilst my company, which is UK-based, focuses on open-source research and analysis regarding current and emerging security, intelligence, geopolitical and resilience issues, I have a passion for history, and would be genuinely interested in it as a separate, simultaneous career path. My BA in History and International Relations and MA in Security and Intelligence Studies provided me with, in my view, the skills necessary to carry out historical research, including archival research, accessing and using restricted document collections and, with regard to more recent events, interviewing witnesses and exchanging ideas with participants in events. My studies also gave me a background in the examination of a wide range of historical subjects and fields.

Furthermore, although I have not as yet received any assignments from them, my undergraduate and postgraduate research skills and experience were considered sufficient to be accepted onto the books of Sticks Research Agency, which has worked on, among other things, television series such as ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ Also, whilst the main focus of my day job is on current events, it is often necessary to examine historical factors which have contributed to modern scenarios.

Currently, my company is in talks with a major London university regarding a joint project to examine how the same or similar factors have helped to skew intelligence analysis and/or policy decisions during individual scenarios years or sometimes decades apart. The idea is to demonstrate how these factors persist regardless of changing political or military contexts. Therefore, I will be maintaining my links with the world of historical research whilst my company hopefully takes off.

As I am a co-director of my own company, I am able to utilise my time as I see fit, in order to carry out historical research work.
That said, it is unlikely but not impossible that I would have time to undertake additional academic or practical training, or to move into writing for publication. My interest is purely in historical research work regarding virtually any subject, on either an ad-hoc or permanent basis, in order to support projects by other individuals or organisations in academia or elsewhere.

If anyone is able to help or advise me, please get in touch. I can provide an extended CV listing my skills and background in detail on request, and also answer any questions that anyone might have. Any guidance would be of great help.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
Tab

Re: UK Historical Research Work Sought

Post by Tab »

One of my sons wanted to that type of work as well and had more degrees than a thermometer he found that so many people were either doing this work for nothing or a very small wage he had re think his career.