Share This Page:

TA/Regular Medical Rejection - Please advise (anybody)

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
CB1990

TA/Regular Medical Rejection - Please advise (anybody)

Post by CB1990 »

Hi Guys,

After advice... I am applying to the Regulars as an Officer, and, because that is taking so long, applied to the TA locally as well. But, I have been rejected via the TA on medical grounds - there is no doubt that I am going to appeal but I want to know what my chances are???? If anyone knows/ can advise?

My rejection was based on a 6 month period of stress/depression I suffered from last year, and army guidlines (regular and TA -because they are now one and the same), will not accept anyone having been diagnosed with this for a period of longer than 3 months.

The case was not extreme, I was pretty stressed and took Citalopram, though not for the entire period. This was to do with caring for my mother, who was suffering from cancer at the time, on my own and without any support from family or friends, whilst working and taking various exams which had been restructured at university.

Although I recognised that I needed some form of help I carried on, without delaying any of my studies like my institution suggested, whilst still caring for my mum and graduated this year with a 2.1. I hope this is recognisable, if it had been so extreme I could have put everything on hold, but did not.

I have been told/ read that 1 episode, recovered from within 12 weeks and 1 year having elapsed after recovery without incident etc is acceptable. 2 seperate episodes both recovered from within 12 weeks with 2 years having elapsed since recovery without incident is acceptable. Yet I dont know where I fall with an 'episode' of 26 weeks and a current recovered state of 1 year???

My initial interview for Regular Army Officer is not until Jan 22nd, if I can appeal and overturn this decision before then (unlikely I feel) will it still affect my Officer application???

Any advice that anybody has to offer would be much appreciated.

Best,
CB1990
Tab

Re: TA/Regular Medical Rejection - Please advise (anybody)

Post by Tab »

Being in action is one of the most stressful things you can do, being an officer leading your team and being responsible for their life's moves that up a step. Now if you have suffered from stress in the past the Military are going to look very carefully at you.
CB1990

Re: TA/Regular Medical Rejection - Please advise (anybody)

Post by CB1990 »

I already understand and appreciate that fully, but I don't see why 6 months of difficulty should define the rest of my life, particularly when I came out of the other side with positive results.

I have posted on here to see whether anyone else has been in this situation, or if anyone can advise me of my chances in appealing...