Share This Page:

Info on 19th century RN ancestor?

General information on Military History.
ianwil

Info on 19th century RN ancestor?

Post by ianwil »

Hi - not sure if this is the correct forum. I'm a non-military person but I was surprised to find out that my great-great-grandfather was in the Royal Navy in the late 1850s. He was only 20-years-old when he was injured in an on-ship accidental explosion losing and arm and blinding him for life.

I know nothing of the cause of the incident, the name of the ship nor the location. Is there anywhere that this information would be archived?

Thanks for any help - Ian
Wholley

Re: Info on 19th century RN ancestor?

Post by Wholley »

Try this first and if you can supply his name and DOB I'll look further.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Royal_Navy
ianwil

Post by ianwil »

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... mmary=True

If this link works, this is almost certainly my great-great-grandfather William Hood. The short length of service would indicate a sudden discharge and that would fit with the incident I described. The dates definitely fit as he married in 1860 and was listed as a RN pensioner at 20-years-old!

Thank you!
Tab

Post by Tab »

My GreatGrandfather was in the RMA for 30 years and was injured on HMS Thunderer when a 32 ton Cannon blew up on the ship in the 1870's. He got a special captains commendation for the work he did in helping the injured although he was wounded himself
ianwil

Post by ianwil »

Hi Tab - Similar circumstances with your Great-Grandfather to my Great-Great-grandfather, no doubt.

Where did you acquire the specific information - I assume most probably from your family?? Ian
Tab

Post by Tab »

I got it from the Public Records Office at Kew, mind you I did not have the time to do it myself so I paid some one to do it for me. It was not expensivie using a freelance agent who fitted it in amongst his other work.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Hi I'm trying to find records of a 19th Century long serving military ancestor too-my Great Grandfather.
Can you point me in the direction of a freelance agent to search the public records at Kew as I live in the north of England & have never searched for anyone before?
Thank you