Share This Page:

OHHHHH CANADA

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
MSI64

OHHHHH CANADA

Post by MSI64 »

Guys

Im looking for anyone who has been posted to Canada (BATUS)
Looking for some idea what its like, living costs, cars that type of thing.
Have heard lots of good things but want some opinions.
Also if any guys have done married accompanied any views on what the quarters are like.

Pics would be fantastic
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
RedAmber

Re: OHHHHH CANADA

Post by RedAmber »

I was never posted to BATUS but I've been there a lot and knew the Brit RSM well at one time.

You'll find housing quite cheap compared to the UK in that part of the world. You'll be in Southeastern Alberta, which is the sunshine capital of Canada. Now, that doesn't mean it's hot, at least not in the winter. It can get down to -40C with ease even down that neck of the woods. In the summer it can get Africa hot!! Beautiful country, though and lost of interesting wildlife, including antelope and rattle snakes!! The Brit currency will go quite far in Canada. Cars will translate as about half price compared to the UK. Cost of living is significantly lower in that part of the world. There are some expensive places in Canada, but where you're going isn't one of them. You should be able to live well and bank a fair bit for taking home.

The only draw-back with BATUS is the location. Living on Base isn't up to much and the nearest town is Medicine Hat. Not a bad little city, but it's about 40 minutes away. This country it twice the size of Europe, so everything is a hell of a long way away. I drove 3400 Kms to go hunting in October and I just traveled near that to observe some training for a couple of days. Your best city "nearby" is Calgary, about 2.5 hours NW. Very much worth the visit, especially with the Mrs. I lived there for ten years.

Cheers,

RA
minimerlin

Re: OHHHHH CANADA

Post by minimerlin »

I served at Batus as permanent staff at the REME WKSPS for 2 years 1979-81. It was a great posting and we all enjoyed the lifestyle living at Ralston, just south of the base. At that time we payed minimal amounts for electricity and the gas was FREE!! (The base owned the wells!!) The winters were very cold and summers very hot (at times). We had a Ford pickup truck with a de-mountable camper that fitted onto the load area and was great for trips to the mountains etc. I remember that the cost of filling up the TWO fuel tanks was less than what we had to pay for our previous little car in the UK! In retrospect it was the second best posting that I had in my 24 years service. I looked up the base on google maps recently and was surprised to find that the trans canada highway that passes to the south is now dual carriageway all the way from The Hat (Medicine Hat) to Calgary! It was`nt when I used to drive it! Used to go to the Hat for a Chinese Takeaway!! One thing that really strikes you is the fact that Batus is at 3.5K feet above sea level...the air is thinner and when you first arrive, going for a run makes you gasp a bit for breath.