Share This Page:

Always A Marine

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Ste Preece

Always A Marine

Post by Ste Preece »

I've just come back from a trip in Japan and have read the many comments about my last book. What a load of drivell some of you have wrote. The only people who actually knew me during my service were SYB and Artist. The rest of you weren't there with us and are like jealous little nit pickers, with bitter attitudes and petty comments. A lot of my book was confirmed during the postings on here and especially on the www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk website. Join it and read:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1123087300

Also read the other, more lengthy. Its 10 pages long. Use the pages, field in the bottom left hand corner to flip pages:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1094557494

The latest one:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1128526357

I don't deny that I was a nasty peice of work during my career, but mostly against those who offered me violence. My outlook on life changed after my first week at 45 commando and I never hesitated to stand my ground after that.

Life in civvy street is not easy because you do become a target for people to have a go at. I bet there are a lot of people out there who have similar stories to mine!!

When I left the Corps, and yes it is a Corps, for those who condone this reference, I found my journey to becoming a civvy long and hardous. This is portrayed in my next book, "Always A Marine".

I survived the many challenges that I faced across the world because of my training as a marine. They are the best soldiers in the world and I say this with confidence to the 90 plus young men who have sent me emails to ask about guidance on joining the Corps.

Best Regards

Steven Preece :)
Last edited by Ste Preece on Tue 15 Nov, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
commando-or-para

Post by commando-or-para »

Just like to say i have read your book and its great. I really enjoyed reading not just because i am interested in the marines, but i liked reading about your life and how the marines changed you. This book has givin me a better insight to military life, even thow it is just one persons view i still think i learned alot.
I have alot of respect for you and hear you are going to write a second book. All the best with it and hope to beable to find that in the shops soon.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

i still think i learned alot.
Not regarding Grammar it seems. :o

Wholley.
Ste Preece

Grammer

Post by Ste Preece »

I'd just call the Grammer, typo's.

The Marines are great soldiers. My confidence grew as I matured as a marine. Just being part of them made it great. I would recommend the challenge of passing through basic training to any young man these days.

My next book "Always A Marine" will be released in a week or so, however Amazon have released it early.
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

however Amazon have released it early.
Probably couldn`t wait to get rid of it.

Typos eh? How`s Alberteenie btw :wink:
Oooh, is that the time 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

What`s all this about? :-?

IP address for this post
62.254.64.15 [ 4 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

Users posting from this IP address
Chappy [ 50 Posts ]

davo141 [ 13 Posts ]

Ste Preece [ 4 Posts ]

always go commando [ 2 Posts ]

Aldo [ 1 Post ]

Other IP addresses this user has posted from
62.254.64.18 [ 30 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

199.67.203.134 [ 5 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

199.67.204.134 [ 3 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

199.67.204.133 [ 3 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

199.67.203.133 [ 2 Posts ] [ Look up IP address ]

You tell me 8)

Hartlepool, shit hole or what? :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Ste Preece

Books

Post by Ste Preece »

I appreciate my first book caused quite a stir. However, I wrote it as it was, at that time. I was over the top with my behaviour and am very sure I would not have got away with a lot of my antics in the military of today. I'm also sure that many other marines got involved in similar incidents, but mine came into focus because I chose to write about them. The day I left the marines, somebody said "you could write a book!!". And that's exactly what I did. I knew it would cause a stir and have mentioned this in my next book.

"Always A Marine" describes my life after I left the corps and my experiences during the phase of transition from a marine to a civvy. It was never going to be easy for me. Indeed, I'm sure it isn't easy for most servicemen.
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

I have just finished reading Always A Marine and thought it was excellent! I think both of Ste's books have been excellent and if he was to write another would definately spend my time and money to read it!

I think that people should lay-off Ste! Like he says the books are his account of periods of his life! Who is anybody else to say what he has written is incorrect, have these people witnessed Ste's life from day 1 untill present through his eyes?? Didn't think so!

Ste has written 2 fantastically honest accounts of determination, pride, prejudice, sadness, exhileration, depression and joy, for which I think he should be congratulated!!
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

I'm about 3/4 of the way through 'Always a Marine' at the moment. While not the best written book I've ever read (though I doubt I could do better) I've found it to be very gripping and difficult to put down (cue joke by Doc re: glue on the cover :wink: ).

The surprising thing I found was that despite the fact that I'm not a former or serving Royal (though hopefully soon), I could empathise with an awful lot of the situations and frustrations Steve mentions in his book. Civvy street sucks, and I've never been anything other than a civvy!

Despite the image it portrayed of the Corps (and the criticism I gave it at the time), I also found 'Amongst the Marines' to be fairly similar. Some of the exploits had me laughing out loud. Though the book did get a bit tedious towards the end.

Just my 2p.

Dan
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Why has the new book got a picture of a US Marine on the front? It disuaded me from buying it as I presumed it was fiction, though it seems from the posts above that isnt not the case?

I liked the last book, especially the part about the stuck up Norwegian birds.
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

Chappy/Jeb/Klink?

Steve Preece answered that on the Once a Marine... site:

The book cover was the best of a choice of 3. They don't spend much money on designing book covers and this one sort of shows a marine leaving the corps for the last time. It starts right were my last book finished.

Hope this helps mate.

Dan
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ste Preece left the Royal Marines though, surely he could have put on a pair of DPMS and some highlegs and stood by a pussers suitcase for a phot.

Cheap book, err I mean design. 8) Any shitting into handbags in civvy street at all?? :roll:
Ste Preece

Stuff

Post by Ste Preece »

Sorry to disappoint about the handbags, but that happened in my experience in 1983/84 only.

Suitcase etc, 15 1/2 years after leaving the corps, I must have mislaid them!! Next time may be.

My first book "Amongst The Marines" caused quite a stir, but was based on fact. My second book, "Always A Marine", concludes my story.

Thanx

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Ste Preece

Re: Stuff

Post by Ste Preece »

Ste Preece wrote: My first book "Amongst The Marines" caused quite a stir, but was based on fact. My second book, "Always A Marine", concludes my story.

Thanx

Steve
Some one on this site once said to me in a PM: Truth and perseverance will shine through in the end, and gladly it did. Thank You.

http://civviestreet.proboards.com/index ... read=16751

Now I need to get my butt into gear and finish this novel I'm working on.

All the very best

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource