Share This Page:

Warfare Officer - Advice

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
melons666

Warfare Officer - Advice

Post by melons666 »

Hello all,
im currently part way through my process of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer and so far it's going pretty well. Due to a few reasons i will not be starting training untill spring 2010. Between now and then i want to be making some good progress in helping me gain experience with the armed forces in general. Therefore i am thinking of joining a reserve unit. The nearest RNR to me is Nottingham and is a fair drive away, however the TA is just around the corner making cost and travel time alot better. Would it be usefuto just join the TA or make the commitment to travel to Nottingham? Also if I'm only joing for a year would they be annoyed at me leaving so quickly.
all help is much appreciated and thanks for all your posts.
Cheers
Josh

on top of this any tips on training for the fitness tests? What's the best methods? Thanks
melons666

Post by melons666 »

Is there something wrong with my post? :(
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

You may find the attached link helpful in your future role.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8anLxro8o

As for joining a local TA Unit (or similar) to get a feel for military life in general, I would be wary of such a move. The Army is obviously SUCH a different beast from the RN that any skills you pick up may be a complete waste of time. The drill is different, as is the way they iron their kit!!! Just LOOK at those CREASES..... Never seen so many since Her Royal Di-ness in her wedding outfit.... :roll:

Also, the days of TA being 'Weekend Warriors' really are confined to the history books. It's not beyond reason that you may be shipped off to 'somewhere hot'.

That being said, I may be talkin' out my hoop..... Best advice is to pop your head round the door of the TA unit.... Be wary of being talked into wearing green, when your career goal requires you to wear blue and 'Dance The Hornpipe'