Share This Page:

Would like to talk with people currently serving please.

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Harris921

Would like to talk with people currently serving please.

Post by Harris921 »

Hi all, Im a 24 year old male and am very interested in joining the Royal Navy. Im a vehicle technician at the moment working on Volkswagen cars and vans so Im really interested in air tech, ship mechanic/engineer and also submarine mechanic/engineer.

Shortly after leaving school I spent 12 months in the army, I passed out at ATR pirbright so I know all about basic training. I would like to know more information on life at sea and life in the Navy once phase one and phase two training have been completed. I would particuarly like to hear from air techs and ship mechanics. What are your daily tasks? Whats a typical day for you guys?

I have perceptions that all Naval personel are stuck in the middle of the ocean for 6 months at a time, is this true? Do you get to see much of the world or just the ocean? After all one of the main reasons for joining the forces is to travel and see the world.

I would love to speak with a submariner, this really interests me but I fear it to be a lonely life stuck at the bottom of the sea for 6 months at a time.

How does the Navy affect your personal life? Do you see much of your wife/partner and children? For single personel do you find it hard to meet women because your always stuck at sea?

I dont mean to sound ignorant, this is just my perception of Naval life. I hope to be corrected by this forum.

Post by 30036091 »

no day is the same, daily orders are always different, and it depnds on what ship and where your based,

speak to your AFCO
twhite86

Post by twhite86 »

well my gf is in the mob aswell and is currently away till spring then i go away till xmas 2010 in june so i wont see much of her so i suggest dont fall in love with a wrn!!
your personal life does take a battering ive found but it comes with the job!!
you do spend time in ports when you deploy but dont expect a two week no work all play trip!! it is a good secure job you just gotta know for sure you wanna do it!!

also im a weapons engineer, i suggest you look into all aspects of engineering at a afco