Share This Page:

SAR - Swimmer

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Skanza

SAR - Swimmer

Post by Skanza »

Just wondering how would one go around for appyling as a swimmer (jumping from the helicopter to rescue) on a search and rescue helicopter for the RN?

Would it be applying for aircrew?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Have you just seen a certain film with Kevin Costner?
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

:lol: I was about to ask the same thing.

I don't think they exist, or at least not with the Royal Navy. Possibly a Coast Guard role if it exists.
_chris

Post by _chris »

The coastguard SAR are almost identical to military so if coastguard had them so would military SAR, anyway joining up looking to go SAR is a bit pointless now with them being privatised. People working SAR don't go straight there so by the time you worked up to getting attached the Navys involvement would be very small.

I think the winchman sometimes has to get lowered into the water in certain situations, but I would imagine every other alternative is looked at first. And its lowered in, not jumping from the helicopter hollywood style. I can't imagine many situations where they wouldn't remain attatched (except when they were on board a vessal).
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

Ah right, thanks for the replies.

Nah I haven't seen that coastguard film, I was actually just getting some info. for my friend who's interested in Search And Rescue, but I can't find anything in the Navy. Which is what he wants.
_chris

Post by _chris »

Its not direct entry as far as I'm aware, I know SAR pilots aren't, so it'll be internally advertised rather than externally - which is why you'ld strugle to find info on it.