Share This Page:

Holding Troop - Query

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Chrisbrum

Holding Troop - Query

Post by Chrisbrum »

Hello all, I'm attending my first holding troop tomorrow. Was just wondering if those who have already been before could give me a bit of a heads up on what it involves. I'm aware that there'll be a lot of PT over the course of the next few months, but is there anything else involved as well? Anything that I should prepare myself for? Also, is it likely that there will be much PT on the first session or is it going to be taken up by paperwork? And on the subject of PT, how intense is it to start with? Again, I know that it gets progressively harder as you get closer and closer to the selection weekend, but what is the standard at the beginning? Having only really started training recently my fitness is average at best, so is it likely that I'm gonna be absolutely destroyed tomorrow or will it be pretty steady?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm quite apprehensive but very much looking forward to it!

Cheers

Chris
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Hey, I think I was as nervous as you before my first holding troop sesh.

I wrote I diary on my first session and it can be found here:

http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I think paper work is usually done on the second HT session, as in the first one they want to test everyones fitness. The paperwork is only what you would do at the AFCO, so if its all sorted you either dont have to go or you can get beasted with the phase ones.

If I were you I would prepair myself for a beasting, I think they want to send a message out at first- see who will come back next week sort of thing! If you read my post, people were being sick and passing out (could be to do with the heat wave! lol) they got beasted so hard. have fun!

Good luck
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Firstly do not worry too much, everyones a bit freaked out by it at first I was but you will soon make some good friends. After your first night you can't wait for the next session.

On the phys the new guys at RMR london get a damn good thrashing as this usually sorts out who really wants it and comes back for more. It is good fun and once you have survived the buzz you get post phys session is pretty cool. 8)

My first night I couldn't walk the next day, this is because I was a total biff when I started. I haven't come that far either...

You will be told where improvement is needed by the PTI. There will be guys there at all different levels of fitness. From total planks to Daley Thompson types that have no problems in doing 60 press ups with one arm!

Good luck with it mate you will enjoy it I promise!
Chrisbrum

Post by Chrisbrum »

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated. Still a bit apprehensive about the fitness assessment, like i said I've only just started training recently, hopefully there'll be a few complete biffs there so I won't look too bad!

I'll write a little diary after tomorrow and add it to my other post about recruitment and selection.

Thanks again!

Chris
Chrisbrum

Post by Chrisbrum »

Well, the good news is there was a biff at my first holding troop - the bad news is it was me! Struggled on the running and fell behind a fair bit. Not to worry though, I definitely enjoyed it and looking forward to going again next week, and I'm going to aim not to fall behind at all next time!
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Chrisbrum wrote:Well, the good news is there was a biff at my first holding troop - the bad news is it was me! Struggled on the running and fell behind a fair bit. Not to worry though, I definitely enjoyed it and looking forward to going again next week, and I'm going to aim not to fall behind at all next time!
Good effort Chris, most I reckon follow a similar pattern. HT is a great wake up call for you to realise that you are not as fit as you think you are! Just set yourself small goals and tick them off as you achieve them.

You will be surprised from how you can go from a complete plank aka me when I first started to a position watching all the other chaps hanging out at the rear!

Keep it up matey!
TT

Post by TT »

You've got me all nervous now:o

Am I fit or have I just forgotten how hard it all is . . . . .
well we'll find out soon enough!!! :D
jay999

Post by jay999 »

Quick question i have about the holding troop. My local RMR unit is 45miles approx. Will the unit pay for travelling expenses at this stage as to be honest i can't afford it.
sandam

Post by sandam »

jay999 wrote:Quick question i have about the holding troop. My local RMR unit is 45miles approx. Will the unit pay for travelling expenses at this stage as to be honest i can't afford it.
Unfortunately you will only be reimbursed travelling expenses once you pass selection and begin your training but it is for every time you have signed the holding troop book as well as once you start. speak to the detachment for details. Personally for me, it doesnt make sense to pay travel for people who arent actually training yet if you think about it. They may fail selection or just sod off and then the service has lost money for nothing.
Application Dec '06
Psychometrics 15/01/2007 - Passed
Eye Test 28/01/07 - Passed (VA1)
Interview 01/02/2007 - Passed
Medical 01/02/2007 - Failed (have to lose 3 kg's)
Medical 2 - ? (Just have to weigh in)
PJFT - ?
PRMC - ?
jay999

Post by jay999 »

yea its true, so if i go to the holding troop i will be reimbursed if i passed the selection tests?
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

yes, as long as you continue into phase one, if you say no thanks this isnt for me on the weekend after selection then i doubt it
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

It will probably take you two months for you to even get your service number through, so even if you quit within the first month they may just cancel getting your number, resulting in no money for you!
jay999

Post by jay999 »

ok yea that makes sense, I just didnt want travel expenses hampering a career in the rmr. Well up for it though :lol: