Share This Page:

2 week courses at ctc

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
trg

2 week courses at ctc

Post by trg »

Hi all,

I'm very interested in joining RMR Cardiff, however could anyone advise as to what time of the month the two week courses are usually held.
The problem is that i would be totally unable to get the first week of any month off work. :-?
Beowulf

Re: 2 week courses at ctc

Post by Beowulf »

trg wrote:Hi all,

I'm very interested in joining RMR Cardiff, however could anyone advise as to what time of the month the two week courses are usually held.
The problem is that i would be totally unable to get the first week of any month off work. :-?
Me thinks you may be looking a wee bit too far ahead to be thinking about the two week course already. Have you even begun the application process?

One bit of advice though; if you want it enough you will make sacrifices. :wink:

That is some pretty hard restrictions regarding time off and your job!

Good luck
trg

Re: 2 week courses at ctc

Post by trg »

Beowulf wrote:
trg wrote:Hi all,

Me thinks you may be looking a wee bit too far ahead to be thinking about the two week course already. Have you even begun the application process?

One bit of advice though; if you want it enough you will make sacrifices. :wink:

That is some pretty hard restrictions regarding time off and your job!

Good luck

Thanks for the response.
With all due respect Beowulf there would seem to be little point in wasting everyones time in commencing the process if, for instance, the two week courses started on the first of the month. Is it such a bad thing to try and anticipate problems before they arise?

My employer pays me reasonably well and it would be pretty unprofessional of me in my line of work to even ask to get the first week of the month off. :(
rc

Post by rc »

Hi all,

The problem is that i would be totally unable to get the first week of any month off work.
I would call the unit on this one mate.

There could be ways round this if the dates don't go in your favour, for example -

Attending the Phase 1 / Commando course with another RMR unit.
Joining a regular recruit troop to complete the tests.

Both the above options are possible, several members of my troop had to take one of the above options, either due to injury or other commitments.
In my experience if you show you're committed, circumstances like this can be resolved.

Things may have changed ???

Rich.
trg

Post by trg »

thanks Rich, much appreciated, i shall follow your advice and give the unit a call, I may well go along to their presentation evening and have a chat in person.
rc

Post by rc »

thanks Rich, much appreciated, i shall follow your advice and give the unit a call, I may well go along to their presentation evening and have a chat in person.
No worries - Hope it works out for you !!!

Rich.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Point taken :wink:

Cardiff Det. forms part of RMR Bristol, the next intake at Bristol is the weekend of the 23rd March. One month dude!

Phase 1 Course at CTC from this intake is unfortunately scheduled for the first weekend of the month. But as Rich has mentioned there will be ways round that.

The next intake is scheduled for the second weekend in October. You may be able to get on next months selection if the AFCO can push you through. If not you have plenty of time to build up the phys!

Again good luck and apologies if came across as sounding off, I tend to do that from time to time!
trg

Post by trg »

Beowulf wrote:Point taken :wink:

Cardiff Det. forms part of RMR Bristol, the next intake at Bristol is the weekend of the 23rd March. One month dude!

Phase 1 Course at CTC from this intake is unfortunately scheduled for the first weekend of the month. But as Rich has mentioned there will be ways round that.

The next intake is scheduled for the second weekend in October. You may be able to get on next months selection if the AFCO can push you through. If not you have plenty of time to build up the phys!

Again good luck and apologies if came across as sounding off, I tend to do that from time to time!

no worries mate, thanks for the info. All being well it looks like i'm going to have plenty of time to work on my phys, march will come about two months too soon unfortunately!
I read before that RMR Bristol don't run a holding troop, can anyone confirm this?
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

trg wrote: I read before that RMR Bristol don't run a holding troop, can anyone confirm this?
RMR Bristol do run a holding troop however currently it is run on a fortnightly basis, so for example you will attend RMR Bristol on Wednesday for some phys and lecture the the following week you will be back at you local det Cardiff for more phys.

Once Phase 1 starts you will will be based at your local det and only hook up with Bristol and the others on the training weekends.
trg

Post by trg »

Beowulf wrote:
trg wrote: I read before that RMR Bristol don't run a holding troop, can anyone confirm this?
RMR Bristol do run a holding troop however currently it is run on a fortnightly basis, so for example you will attend RMR Bristol on Wednesday for some phys and lecture the the following week you will be back at you local det Cardiff for more phys.

Once Phase 1 starts you will will be based at your local det and only hook up with Bristol and the others on the training weekends.
sorry i wasn't being very clear there mate :oops: , the question i intended to ask was do RMR Cardiff run a holding troop?
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Yes they do and have one running currently, couldn't tell you if it is continuous throughout the year or when it started though. Give them a bell and they will be able to shed some light.

In most cases you can only join HT once your admin has been squared away so by the time this is done HT might be up and running. It is a useful insight. Keep us informed.

ATB
trg

Post by trg »

Thanks again mate. :)
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Trg, just wondering if you were going to be attending the next presentation evening at RMR Cardiff, I'm hoping to be able to get to it. (With a view to joining in June/July time)
trg

Post by trg »

yes thats the plan phil, i'm going to be looking at the same sort of time myself, beowulf has said that the next intake (after march) will be in October so i'm planning on being in that. :)