Share This Page:

RN NURSE to RM?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

From what I've found so far, commando trained naval nurses are very rare, most of them are green lid MA's who later branch transfered. I know of one nurse who did a commando course while in the QARNNS, but because the course wasn't considered relevant to their job, they had to do the all arms course in their own time while on leave :o. Methinks option 1 is going to be an awful lot more sensible :).
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
DMSDAYDEXTER

Post by DMSDAYDEXTER »

Errrr, thanks stix & voodoo. couple of questions - what's a killick? And are RN nurses at CTC AACC badged these days, even a few 'cos I imagine most would do anything to avoid doing the AACC ? Me I love running around the hills with 40kgs strapped to me back for days on end. Basically, I'm bored with working in the civilian environment and love doing loads of phys, but there is no way I'm going to drop my nursing qualification and post grad qualis to become a MA. It don't make much sense. Currently the idea of spending 5 years working in yet another piss poor NHS hospital doesn't really inspire me...but if I was working alongside Royal in a forward surgical unit or CTC etc I would like their respect by proudly wearing a green lid.

Regards

Dooms
Doc

Post by Doc »

Killik is a leading hand

Nowt wrong with MA's mate, get more clinical time in than your average bed pan emptier...oops I mean Nurse :oops: :lol:

RN Nurses work in the hospitals or larger sickbays and if they volunteer for surgical teams to support 3 Commando Brigade then its periodical and not full time.

Why not go in as a MA do a few years with Royal and then go back to Nursing?

No offence here but if you regularly run the hills with 40kgs on your back which is about 90lbs then Id bypass CTC and head straight to Hereford.....or the nearest orthopod. :lol:
Last edited by Doc on Mon 12 Sep, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

the story of the term killick is a strange one indeed

Back in the days of sail the Navy first thought of awarding ratings rank.

The first two sea dogs worthy of this new promotion were Seaman Ock and Seaman Ick.

Ick beat Ock to the post and was the first RN Leading hand, I think they were both sail makers.

Now Ock werent happy with this and in a fit of rage and topped up with Rum he took a sail makers needle and killed Ick.

Hence the term Kill Ick or killick.

What concerns me on most dark evenings is this:

If Ock had been a MA would he have been made a Pill Ock and would then all LMA's be called Pillocks?

Navy eh? Funny old service.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

My Killick always insisted that the term comes from when the I/C of the capstan would sit on it as it turned during evolutions. The noise it made went something like click- ki-click. I believed him for years, :D the bar steward. Anyway when I was on HMS Blackcat..........
DMSDAYDEXTER

Post by DMSDAYDEXTER »

Thanks for your reply - I would, but I'm just over the age for entry into Royal. I'm sure RN/RM MA's work beyond the scope of the average Nurse, but you see I've got skills & experience and bit's of paper that I worked hard to get which I'd like to develop further, plus the money doesn't look too nice starting as a rating if you get me drift...
Doc

Post by Doc »

I thought the term was Akillick?
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

You heard that story too then Doc, I was racking my empty brain for ages trying to remember the sound effect. Believing that one was as bad as when I was sent to the weapons stowage compartment with a bucket of water for a water shot. Happy days having the p£$! taken out of me and getting leathered by my sea dad.