Share This Page:

The 2.4km fun run

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
matt2301

The 2.4km fun run

Post by matt2301 »

Hello all. As this is my first post on this forum, i'd like to say hi fist of all:D The names obvious, and at at the monent im a final year aerospace student in SE england.

As part of my career plans Ive had my eye on the RNR for a bit, in order to gain some experience and brownie points with the RN.

But I have a few questions about the physical training test. I hope you believe me when I say Ive trained hard for this. Gone from a unfit 16.5 stone boy, to a slightly less unfit 15 stone bloke. I can do the 2.4km, but I wont say Im a spring chicken afterwards. Im pretty shattered.

I know thats bad, and I am genuinely doing my best to improve it.

But what sort of pace does the test have? The press ups etc are of no problem to me, I have no probs with strength. Its the stamina that gets me. (although most of you guys probably laugh at me for mentioning stamina for only 2.4 klicks)

But basically, could someone explain how exactly the test is carried out, and under what sort of timeframe. I have done a good bit of snooping around on the forum and havent been able to find it. Apologies if its under my nose.

And finally, I want to say that Ive found a lot of useful info on here so far between all of you and the written articles. It'll be put to use, so thank you!
djmarkmclachlan

Post by djmarkmclachlan »

Im assuing its the pre-joining fitnesss test, for which it is a 2.4km run, it is conducted on a treadmill and its 12 km/h constant after 30 secs to achieve the baseline 11 mins 50? I think it is, the idea is that you give it your all. Persoanlly I find the best way to think while your doing it, if you finish on tme, dig in, you dont have to do it again, if you dont put quite as much effort in, youll still be shattered but need to do it again. Got me a long just fine. :)
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

when I joined up the first mile and a half I did was at raleigh and altough the PTI told us we had to do it in 11:13secs we actually had 13:13 secs but he was switched on and we were suffering from head-up-arse-itis anyway 11:13 is a good time to do it in and it is just a squad run around two side-by-side astro turf pitches. basically when you first join it's best effort the rest of training will get your time down! all the best :)
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
Doc

Post by Doc »

You could always apply for the Royal Marines then you wont have to worry about the Naval fitness levels, and if you do want to join the RN in the future then the Corps would have got you fit.

:o

Its nothing to worry about, Raleigh fitness is a break from the boredom of locker inspections and damage control exercises. You only got a few beastings in my day and if the club swingers fake tan started to run then it was cut short :lol:
matt2301

Post by matt2301 »

Thanks for the reassurance, sounds like its not quite as "be all and end all" as I had it figured.

Thanks for telling me it was on treadmill, as there will be differences between that and outdoor running, now I can expect them.

Your methods are better DJ, I think Ill try that way of thinking and see how far it gets me. So far I've either been thinking of what the pain now will get me in the future. Lets try something else to train with!

Its not the AIB interviews etc that has got me worried so much as the fitness and medicals, so any info I can get is more than welcome. I think the Army guys would agree when I say a recce is rarely time wasted.

But I can do then run in under the time specified (about 11 minutes last time I did it), but after that I was totally fooked, and incapable of doing anything else, certainly not press ups!

The RM is another option, one that I hadnt really considered until I met a few through my processing so far.

I'm deffo not fit enough at the moment, so one way or another, I'll get fit enough to have my pick.

Many thanks for the advice!