Share This Page:

RMR Birmingham Open Evening 15th March

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Rugby lad

RMR Birmingham Open Evening 15th March

Post by Rugby lad »

Hi there.

I am currently studying at Nottingham Trent Uni and joined the RNR back in October.

Since then sod all has happened in respect to getting medicals and test dates sorted as they (the AFCO and my Unit HQ) have lost various documents.

To say the least i'm not entirely pleased, and as a result i have recently enquired about transferring to the RMR.

I got in touch with the recruiting sergeant at RMR Merseyside and have since been invited to an open evening at RMR Birmingham.

The date is on the 15th of March and i believe that there are also opening evenings at the other RMR Merseyside detachments on the same date.

I just thought I'd let you know encase you were contemplating joining the RMR. If you are, get in touch with the recruiting sergeant, the phone number is on the Navy website.

One last thing is that there is only one intake a year which takes place in September, which for me means along wait hoping that the RNR pull their finger out and get me signed up and i get my cash which so far i've seen no sign of!

Rugby Lad

P.S - How many Uni students join the RMR and how do they fit the training in around their studies??
Nade

Post by Nade »

There were alot of students in RMR Scotland. I think it will probably be the same down there. Some people studying to be doctors and in there 3rd year managed to fit it in and get time off etc.. So you can fit it all in fine, just that you dont have much free time to yourself really. You need to check that your Uni willl allow you to have time off. Its a real downer when they turn around and tell you that you cant go on 2 week course or they will chuck you out. Thats what happened to me so I left RMR to stay in Uni. But you can do both of them though, just make sure your def gonna get the time off.

Nade
rabby

Post by rabby »

Ditto what Nade said. I'd say a large percentage of an intake will be students, but ther is also a huge variety of people that join, from managers to doctors to engineers to bankers to fitness instructors (they don't seem to last though :-? ) and even a few misfits! I'm at uni just now, and I have no problems getting both RMR and uni done.
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Rugby lad

Post by Rugby lad »

Cheers guys.

I'll find out when the 2 weeks away usually take place and then consult with my Head of Science lecturer to see if i can spare a few weeks here and there.

Rugby Lad
Antubis

Post by Antubis »

What happened then Rugby Lad ? Are you in holding troop yet ?
Courage and perserverance overcomes adversity.... It will come
Rugby lad

Post by Rugby lad »

Hi there.

I went down for the first 2 sessions which i thoroughly enjoyed (well, partly. It did show me how much i've got to work on my fitness).

Since then i've not been down due to commitments with the RNR that i've been unable to get out of, plus a combination of inapropriately scheduled rowing training and exam revision.

Myself and a fellow RNR guy (yes, he's bored with the RNR also) are both intending to go down to HMS Forward in a couple of weeks, so i'll let you know how we get on then.

Chris