Share This Page:

Age of new recruits?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
del boy

Age of new recruits?

Post by del boy »

Hi guys,

This is my first post so a big hello to everyone! Basically, I applied to join a few years ago at the age of 20 after dropping out of uni but failed on the medical. The reason for the failure is now behind me so I believe I will now be eligible to reapply. I am now 25 years old and could have reapplied a couple of years ago but I was in a serious long term relationship which really put me off, something that I now regret!

Anyway, I guess I’ve recently woke up to the fact that my life is passing me by and I’m going nowhere very quickly! Free from any commitments whatsoever, my interest is now re-ignited and I’ve got Friday booked off work so I can pop into the careers office.

I realise though that although I am well below the official maximum age to join, I would be one of the oldest on any recruitment. In all honesty, its something that I feel a bit uncomfortable about but certainly is not going to stop me. So out of curiosity really, what is the age range of new recruits as ratings? Do many people in their mid to late twenties apply?

Regards,

Del boy
Cliodna

Post by Cliodna »

Stick yer chit in mate...what have you got to lose???
Age doesn't mean a whole lot...as long as you are under the cut-off then you are laughing kitbags.
Experience of life is looked upon pretty favourably.
Crack on! :D
feederboy

Post by feederboy »

I realise though that although I am well below the official maximum age to join, I would be one of the oldest on any recruitment. In all honesty, its something that I feel a bit uncomfortable about but certainly is not going to stop me. So out of curiosity really, what is the age range of new recruits as ratings? Do many people in their mid to late twenties apply?
Quite a few people in my entry at Raleigh were in their twenties. The oldest guy in our division was 32! The only problem is that you'll have to keep reminding the PTIs that you're over 25 when you do your fitness tests so you get extra time and that, not that I'm assuming you need extra time, of course...

Feederboy
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Hi Del Boy,

I know this post of mine is about the Marines, but hey, it's part of the Navy so I thought I'd post here :)

I'm 25 too and recently just passed my PRMC (well....in December...been injured since!).

I was one of the older ones there but there was a lot around my age. I did feel a little like the old one at first, but to be honest you just forget about it after a while. A lot of people are going to Uni first, then going into the forces so there are a few in their 20s. My AFCO said that he has had quite a few people who were late 20's (28, 29, 30 etc).

I was speaking to a Marine who had just passed Commando training that was my age and asked about the age factor. He said that it didnt make no difference at all.

(Hope this helps, sorry this may seem a bit jumbled....I here at work really busy at the moment!)
Doc

Post by Doc »

I was 16 when I joined up and I like older women. Hope it helps! :lol:

One of the lads in my troop was 31 and an ex-pongo. So aslong as your fit and have the mentality and within the limit, age isnt a factor.

Age is also different to maturity, when I was 18 I was mixing with blokes alot older than me :o (legally and for work and getting pished purposes!!!!) But whenever I went home on leave and saw my old schoolfriends sniffing glue and getting rat arsed on half a cider...Id think of them as kids, wasnt due to me being big headed I just couldnt relate to them..............so filled them in instead! :lol:
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

How exactly did you "fill them" in Doc?
&
Theres nothing wrong with the "older women" bit though! :wink:
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
Noz

Post by Noz »

I joined at 22 and on my course were a couple of guys who were late twentys. There was a guy who was an ex-canman from the NAAFI who was in his thirties.

Age and experience count for a lot. Some of the sproggs that you get drive you nuts with there lack of common dog. The training staff will probably be looking to you to provide a "guiding light" to the little darlings of 16,17,18 years of age! :o
There are are two kinds of people:

Those who say to god, "Thy will be done", and those to whom god says, "Alright then, have it your way".

C.S. Lewis