Share This Page:

Christmas Greeting From Once A Marine

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Well what a busy year on the Internet, the "Once A Marine" Web site has seen an incredible 107000 plus visitors and the e-mail listings list almost 800 former and serving Royal Marines. Its success is largely down to each visitor. The site sees visitors from all over the world.

Much more use has been made of the Discussion Boards, with some good threads, humour and of course some serious topics. Many a researcher has contacted myself and visitors to the site for historic reasons, covering Genealogy, Films and books. It is unfortunate that the message boards have met with some ups and downs recently with service providers letting me down, but that is the way of the Net. But each time I set a new one up more people become involved in the discussions. I will continue to search for the best available and ensure we have a voice on the web.

It still amazes me daily the camaraderie felt for Oppos met during service in the Corps, and I am reminded every time I visit or update the site how strong my ties are and that of those who visit. It s this which we all seek in Civvie Street but fail to achieve to the same extent as that which we took for granted whilst in the Corps. Through the site I personally have been reunited with many Oppo's I have served with and who I shared that experience called "Training" many who are now as far away as Australia. I have received countless emails from many of you who have had similar experiences and reunions.

Next year I hope to increase the number of Serving and Former Royal's visiting the site, by continuing to encourage the RMA to publish its newsletters and of course have a web presence. I have created a Show site with the help of The RMA London and Jim Ellard to demonstrate all that can be achieved - and hope that the General Secretary takes the hint. You will also have seen the Countermarch site which I also took the initiative to set up and cajole the Corps Resettlement into utilising the Web as a means of communications, it is now being revamped professionally by the Corps so keep your eyes peeled for the update.

Well I will not bore you any longer, other than to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year for 2002 - Please keep visiting the site it is there for you and me, any suggestions or contributions are most gratefully received.

Yours Aye
Tony Lang
John_D

Post by John_D »

Thanks Tony
The same to you and yours
From the John_D family

Aye John_D
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Same to you, Tony. Have a great christmas and New Year. Have a drink for each one of the lads spending Xmas in the 'Stan. :smile:
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Paddy Nye

Post by Paddy Nye »

Hi Tony'
I for one, wish you the best Christmas of your life. Thanks to your extreme hard work, we still have a forum to express our views and be in touch with old oppo's. The success of what you are doing is borne out by the figures of the amount of site visitors
Are we a crazy bunch, not wanting to forget each other? No, I think we Marines are a special bunch. Thankyou for all you have done to make this comradeship possible.
Now distance yourself from the 'mouse' and enjoy a relaxed period with your loved one's.

Have a Great Christmas

Paddy Nye
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Tony,
Many thanks for your hard work on the Once a Marine.... site and for the continual push to get the RMA some web presence.
All the best to you and your family.

Brian Easton