Share This Page:

Treadmill Speeds

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Kane

Treadmill Speeds

Post by Kane »

I spoke to the Careers officer at Brighton, and he said "that you will not have enough time to practice on a treadmill before you take your PJFT. We will schedual it for the 3rd day your in the country." My question is what speed does one have to set the treadmill at to complete 1.5 miles, 2.4km, in about 8:45? I've never used a treadmill before in my life, just strictly done road running so I'm super lost when it comes to them. Is there anything special about the UK ones compared to ones in North America? Anything I might need a heads up on?

Thanks for any help.

Brent
PRMC... Beginning of June if all goes well.
Mr Mojo Risin

Post by Mr Mojo Risin »

Set it to about 14kph to come in well in the 10.45 limit. 16kph for a sub 9 minute time.
PJFT : 9.12
PRMC : 24th May... FAILED
Going back - sometime after Chrimbo
Jordiman

Post by Jordiman »

10.5 mph or 16.8kph

Is 1.53 Miles in 8.45mins
Passed PRMC 17th December 2003

Started Basic 5th July 2004 880 Troop, Jan 2005 886 Troop, June 2005 893 Troop, July 2005 895 Troop

Got MD 3rd November 2005

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
druadan

Post by druadan »

What Jordiman said. Anything above 16kph/10mph and you're looking at 9 minutes max (in theory 16kph is 9 minutes dead on, but you lose a few seconds because of the time it takes to speed up). Go 17kph and reduce it during the run if you feel you have to.

If you can hit that sort of time on the road, you won't have a problem on the treadmill, they do a lot of the work for you. Don't worry about knowing how to use the thing, you do it at a civvy gym and the instructors are always helpful...they'll show you exactly what to do. It's a bit weird running on them at first, because the world isn't moving around you, easy to stumble or lose your balance, but you'll get used to it pretty quick. Watch it when you get off...it'll feel like the whole room starts moving past you and very easy to fall over!! Can you not get any practice on one over there??
BigFatCivvy

Post by BigFatCivvy »

I've got my PJFT tomorrow afternoon, and I have a bloody cold! I'm pretty certain I can do it ok anyway, it's just that my lungs are bollocksed. A couple of weeks ago, I was doing the 1.5 in anywhere from 8:55 and 9:10, now I can manage about 9:40- 10 mins. Oh well, I guess a pass is a pass :( . Wish me luck! Cheers, BFC.
Now then, then now, now then now, now then. Never poo poo a poo poo. Damned stout fellow.
Kane

Post by Kane »

I could get some practice, but I'm very quickly running out of time before I leave on the 2nd of July. Graduation is coming up next week and such so I have a lot on my plate. I'll see if I can get to a gym to do a session, but thanks everyone for the heads up anyway. I'll just be sure to keep the speed above 16kph, and I'll be good to go.

Cheers, Brent
PRMC... Beginning of June if all goes well.