Share This Page:

AIRBORNE, or any other paras...

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
joe

Post by joe »

sully, apologies, didn't realise you were a former bookneck!!

I understand that Marine training has been changed slightly over recent years in an attempt to reduce what could be described as unnecessary injuries - my source here is mainly the Royal Marines circuit training book. There is a small section in the book which describes how the Corps has taken the advice of Simon Costain, a podatrist, on things such as the correct footwear and running surfaces (these two things are probably considered the most influential in terms of lower leg injuires). If you've not come across shins splints, you may be familar with stress fractures? Shin splints always occur before a stress fracture, as the fracture is simply chronic shin splints which have gotten so bad it has fractured the tibia! It would seem the Corp has recognised these are issues, and taken steps to mitigate them, but without dropping standards (ie. still run ten miles, but not all on concrete).

Joe

PS An MRI would confirm a stress fracture, no splints. Not really necessary to be honest as the pain in a fracture is far greater.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Tony dean has just posted briefly about his training for the RAF Regt, apparently he has recurring shin splints.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Here as well... just in case you missed it on any of the others!!
Airhorn... wondering if your recruiting was official or not. Having spoken to a AFCO advisor at lunch today he stated that you must be a SNCO to be an advisor. I was wondering why they changed the rules to allow you to do it?
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sully

Post by Sully »

Joe, please don't apologise mate - I appreciate the feedback - I've talked b*****ks in the past and am more than likely to do it again. There was a touch of the devil's advocate in what I said and I thought Dan might be laying some bait.

A lad in our troop in training developed a stress fracture before the commando tests and kept away form sickbay completing the tests. They went ballistic when he was x-ray'd and in truth it wasn't wise of him to crack on but it showed the type of man they were after and I would serve with him any day (if he didn't have a nauseating Barnsley accent :lol: ).

Sounds like you know you're stuff - prolonging the 'shelf-life' of a soldier has to be a good thing but I think the 'injury is weakness' ethos puts a rocket up your arse and focusses the mind - and its all in the mind at the end of the day.

Rob, perhaps Tony should draw a decent pair of b*****ks from the store and just crack on. (Only joking mate :lol: )
Tab

Post by Tab »

The thing about these courses is not only to check your fitness level, but to check your spirit. They will chase you about until your body starts to tell you that you can't do this any more and you would be better taking a a breather, or to let the pain go away. It is those that can carry on through the pain barrier and do not know the meaning of defeat that they are looking for, so all those that want to get their wings, just bite on your lip and keep going.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Don't think you can get much better advice than that :wink: