Share This Page:

What watch??

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Scouse_liam

What watch??

Post by Scouse_liam »

been told to buy a watch for training. Do any of you know a good one to get??? I dont mind paying out!!
BE A w@#k OR A PARATROOPER."
2 PARA
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Just get a shit one mate, it'll get f*cked in training. All you need is date/time and maybe an alarm. Don't splash out it's not worth it yet. When/if you get to battalion spend your money then as you'll have a better idea of what might be handy. The only thing you need a watch for in the depot is to make sure you're where you need to be five minutes before five minutes before you're meant to be there! :D LOL
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Yeah mate, just get something that won't break too easily, has some sort of light function, and is relatively waterproof. Something like a cheap G Shock. Anything too expensive will become an 'attractive item', and may go diffy! :roll:
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

I got a Timex Ironman watch, it's great for what you need as it's cheap, durable, waterproof, has an indigo light, alarm, stop watch etc.. I've had mine for about 3 years and I've never had any problems with it at all an it's been bashed from pillar to post over that time.

Here's a link to one in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... RONMAN.htm
davo141

Post by davo141 »

ive got a nice £7 argos casio special edition...now comes with light, time, stop watch and alarm! you can even make it been on the hour if you like.

a right bargain!! you can spend hundreads on watches, some need to be charged of computers and what not.

like said previously just get a cheapo, ones with GPS and what not will proberly not be aloud and an nice attractive item for them twats that like to steal!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

quite alot of bloke in depot and in battalion ive found just use the 7 pound casio thing seen it put through some shit and its a tough f@#k
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Yeah, that's what I had when I was in depot, a cheapo casio thing. That way you aren't gonna be too pee'd off when/if you lose it or it gets trashed.

I've got a gucci Suunto at the min, got it free off my bro in the Freds (they get them issued!) :wink:
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

I've got the same one Ronnie, but I paid for mine!!! :cry:
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

a lot of lads are going for them huge big ben look alike sunto watches they seem a good bit of kit, with alitmetre and gps for naving.

was looking into getting one of them or the small simple gps only wrist ones, you know the ones, like a watch...but not! but then again the pussers gps isnt bad and if you brake it they replace it without the hassle!!

my £7 casio is now a war vet, excersie vet, hasnt been on any run ashores though due to its lack of 'bling' for want of a better word!

no need for the gucci stuff in training theres little requirement as you need to no the basics of navigating with compass, counting paces, reading contours etc.

Do you para lads do the old alternative methods of navigation?? using stars, the moon and wood pidgeons etc?? always found the star method usefull at night!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
JayBuckley

Post by JayBuckley »

Alfa wrote:I got a Timex Ironman watch, it's great for what you need as it's cheap, durable, waterproof, has an indigo light, alarm, stop watch etc.. I've had mine for about 3 years and I've never had any problems with it at all an it's been bashed from pillar to post over that time.

Here's a link to one in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... RONMAN.htm
I seen this earlier on here so went out and just bought it seems an OK bit of kit for training in.
Application (Paras) - Done
Barb Maths & English tests - Done
Medical - Done
Interviews - Done
ADSC - Passed!!
Intake - November 16th!

jay-buckley@hotmail.co.uk
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

davo141 wrote:ive got a nice £7 argos casio special edition!
Those things have a cult following now apparently!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

JayBuckley wrote:I seen this earlier on here so went out and just bought it seems an OK bit of kit for training in.
Yes it is, like I said, I've had mine for a few years and never had any problems with it at all. I can't actually see what the more expensive watches like the G-Shocks etc.. offer over these to be honest. I think it's like most things these days everyone try's selling you things that are faster, more complex with a million different functions (most of which you'll never even use!) and then charge you through the nose for it when something cheap will do the job just as well.

How much did you pay for it? The Argos website says £19.99 but I got mine for £12 as it was on sale, but that was a few years ago.
JayBuckley

Post by JayBuckley »

Alfa wrote:
JayBuckley wrote:I seen this earlier on here so went out and just bought it seems an OK bit of kit for training in.
Yes it is, like I said, I've had mine for a few years and never had any problems with it at all. I can't actually see what the more expensive watches like the G-Shocks etc.. offer over these to be honest. I think it's like most things these days everyone try's selling you things that are faster, more complex with a million different functions (most of which you'll never even use!) and then charge you through the nose for it when something cheap will do the job just as well.

How much did you pay for it? The Argos website says £19.99 but I got mine for £12 as it was on sale, but that was a few years ago.
I paid the £19.99 for it, i literally seen it on here and then went straight out and got it, i start up at depot on Sunday so needed to get one asap! I already have 7 expensive watches, i am in to buying nice watches and stuff like that, but are all going out watches and to expensive to have "go missing" at depot!
Application (Paras) - Done
Barb Maths & English tests - Done
Medical - Done
Interviews - Done
ADSC - Passed!!
Intake - November 16th!

jay-buckley@hotmail.co.uk