Share This Page:

bandmaster

General information on Military History.
redbert

bandmaster

Post by redbert »

Hi all, is there some kind soul who can assist me with a dilemma i have. if i may explain!!!!!!!, during researching my Family/Tree found that my G/G/G/Dad JAMES KING was BANDMASTER for the 5th Dragoon Guards 1829-50 i know this as i have his Attestation Papers & Medical/Discharge Papers, stating the fact that he was indeed the BANDMASTER for the 5th D/Gs being discharged in 1850 LONGFORD ireland, he had previously enlisted with the ROYAL STAFF CORPS in 1821 aged 13 as a Bugler, i also discovered that he was also a Military/Music/Composer having composed well over 40 compositions from 1849-1870, again i know this as fact as the BRITISH/LIBRARY have all his MUSIC on there records???????, up to date i have bought 3 compositions, which are all POLKAs, which were i beleive very popular in the 1800s ??????????
Despite perusing many many Military Music Books, & visiting the 5th Dragoon Guards Museum in YORK, & leaving messages on MILITARY/ FORUMs, i have been unable to find any more information on my G/G/G/Dad, as James King was a BANDMASTER prior to KNELLER HALL the Acadamy for training BANDMASTERs being established in 1857, it would be fruitless to seek data on J/K, but they do have records of his son JAMES CHARLES KING who had 2 terms at KNELLER HALL 1870-2 & 1882-4, having been such an accomplished Muscian i find it very frustrating that i can not find more info on him??????????????
I have articles from the journal the BANDMASTER 1888 that pay tribute to him on his death in 1888, i also have 2 articles from the DERBY MERCURY in the late 1888s that also mention J/K as he resided in DERBY after his discharge from the 5th D/Gs, he was also the BANDMASTER for the DERBYSHIRE YEOMANRY, as were 2 of his sons, yet once again i have hit a brick wall with this Reg/t, please forgive my long-winded prattle, but i would be most grateful for any advise or comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
some details of my G/G/G/Dad
Name: JAMES KING Born: 1809 Place: Dublin Died: 1888 in DERBY
BANDMASTER/Composer 1829-1850 Thanks REDBERT
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Welcome aboard.
These may be a long shot but try
Imperial War Museum and
Military History.com
The first deals mainly but not entirely with the twentieth century and the second is mostly U.S.related.
Within the IWM site there are several contact phone #'s but beware.....
If you want some research done for you it will cost.

Hope this helps.

Wholley.
redbert

james king bandmaster

Post by redbert »

Thanks Wholley will try do as you suggest Redbert