Share This Page:

RAF Regiment Gunners Killed

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
bushyredsocks

RAF Regiment Gunners Killed

Post by bushyredsocks »

Hey guys, I'm joining the RAF Regiment pretty soon, and obviously heard about those two gunners that were killed by a roadside bomb near Kandahar a couple weeks ago. I was just wondering does anyone know the actual number of RAF Regiment gunners that have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan since the start of the war in 2003? Or in that case, the number of any British Armed Forces Servicemen killed (marines, para's, army).

I'm still going to join the RAF Regiment as an officer anyway, regardless, but it would just be interesting to know how many British soldiers have been killed in action so i know how much risk I will be at when i go.

Thanks guys
Alfa

Re: RAF Regiment Gunners Killed

Post by Alfa »

bushyredsocks wrote:Or in that case, the number of any British Armed Forces Servicemen killed (marines, para's, army).
Here's a link to another thread on this very site:

viewtopic.php?t=17715

If you want to know specific numbers of Rockape casualties then have a look through the Condolences & Obituaries section as SO19 puts up a post for all British service personnel killed on operations.

For a potential Officer you don't show much initiative.
Rockape884

Post by Rockape884 »

well done youve made an impression .... if your woried about being killed be a guin you retard. Im on 3 at the moment , out here in sunny KAF, i dont have a clue how Livi and tommos deaths were portrayed by the media and im niot at liberty to discuss this for opsec reasons.
you need to have a serious word with yourself before you even walk into an afco , ie dont be a fag
peter1034

Post by peter1034 »

Hahahaha! The guy was merely asking what risks their was - why Is he not showing much intiative - because he wants to see the risk factors? Am going in the RAF & have my date - of course I done my research to see what risks their was involved - of course I want to join but not if there was a high chance I was gonna die because of the Iraq situation. - if it was another world war - I wouldn't hesitate.

My friend - the number of deaths since 2001 has been around 53 in all armed forces - making the chances something will happen to you small. However don't go in if you are afraid & not prepared of this chance - I had the same thoughts - on the other hand u could be killed in a car crash tommorow.

My brother was injured in Iraq several years ago & could of sustained serious injuries.

my upmost respect for the people who have died or suffered serious injuries - you are heroes.
_chris

Post by _chris »

peter1034 wrote:Hahahaha! The guy was merely asking what risks their was - why Is he not showing much intiative - because he wants to see the risk factors?

I think Alfa made it quite clear it was how easy the information was to obtain, and if he had used some initiative he could have found it. Nothing to do with what information he wanted to find out.
peter1034 wrote: My friend - the number of deaths since 2001 has been around 53 in all armed forces - making the chances something will happen to you small. However don't go in if you are afraid & not prepared of this chance - I had the same thoughts - on the other hand u could be killed in a car crash tommorow.
I don't know where you got the 53 figure from, but sadly, the deaths in Iraq alone for British forces are more than 3 times that number, at 176 deaths from all the British contingent. In Afghanistan, 94.
peter1034

Post by peter1034 »

chris is that the figure since 2001? Is that all forces? Is there any info where we can compare between deaths and army, navy,RAF? Also have u seen how many American lads have been killed & lost limbs from Iraq? Cheers 4 pointing that out chris - my info actually came from an article I read in the sun !
_chris

Post by _chris »

The figures are both all forces, and come from the lists that CNN keep updated daily on their site for both wars http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/ir ... index.html And as such will be figures since the wars first started (Iraq: March 2003, Afghanistan: October 2001). I don't know any breakdowns per service, short of sifting thorugh all the reports, which for many with any servicemen as friends/relatives could become a bit much before long. The CCN sites also have figures for deaths from every coalition force, and the pentagons figures for US troops wounded in action, no simlar data is included for other nations forces.
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

Alfa, all i was trying to do was ask a question and get general feedback about it. I thought thats what forums were for. There was no need for that at all. Chris and peter thanks alot for the feedback :D
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

No need for all what?

I told you exactly where to look to get the answers to your question, after all why ask a question that can be answered with a bit of simple research.

But hey, I think Chopper has some good advice for you :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Rockape884 wrote:well done youve made an impression .... if your woried about being killed be a guin you retard. Im on 3 at the moment , out here in sunny KAF, i dont have a clue how Livi and tommos deaths were portrayed by the media and im niot at liberty to discuss this for opsec reasons.
you need to have a serious word with yourself before you even walk into an afco , ie dont be a fag
Hey, no need for that, okay?