Share This Page:

Joining

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
DavidARichardson

Joining

Post by DavidARichardson »

Good evening Ladies and Gentleman,

Thank you for reading this post. My name is David and I am currently in the application process for becoming a Regiment Gunner. This was a choice I was happy with. Well untill recently when I found a lovely young lady that I get on well with. (Ahhh). I did tell her a few dates into the realasonship what the plan was and after the enitial feelings she seem to get over things and was as happy as I guess you can be about your other half disapearing for a while. Now I had never really asked the questions at the RAF office:-

During training is there any time to go home and see your girlfriend (or whoever) and how long is it before you get to do that??

Mainly because although I have the Family and freinds back here there was nobody that couldnt wait a few months to see my Ugly mug. Now however its getting that we are getting closer than i think either of us though we would and she and myself need to know these things. Is there any Gunners either in or out of training or even the other halfs that can other a bit of advice on how often I can get back to sunny South England and how long the the first part of training is before we will start to get some time of if any?? Also is there any chance that she will get to come up. (I know thats prob a long shot really)

Many thanks in advance for any ans.

Dave
Jace_18

Post by Jace_18 »

hi mate, im about to begin my 6 months training on 30th of March and have been told the following. You are not allowed home until you have done your initial 4 weeks however after that as long as your section is doing well then you should get most weekends off as long as your not on exercise etc.

However as far as them coming to see you thats more of an issue until u pass out in which you have ur own room and can sign in 'guests' to stay with you. It depends if you think you would rather stay at base at weekends rather then travelling because you wont get much time.

Hope this helps
Initial Interview: Dec 6th
Aptitude Tests: Jan 8th
Medical:
PGAC: Mar 10th
Final Interview: Mar 20th
TG: Mar 30th
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

just bin the bint :wink: . I was in similar predicament when I was down there and with hindsight it was something could of done without having to think about whilst I was going through the course. Besides you will be out trapping some stinky dungeons when your out n about in lovely Bury st. Edmunds to be even bothered! brazilias nightclub oh yes!!
'Every man an Emperor'
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Hello David,
I'm ex-RAF Regiment from way back, I ended my days on II Field Sqn Airborne in 82.

Anyway, on arrival at the old RAF Regiment Depot at the old RAF Catterick (now Marne Barracks) we were told straight away that we wouldn't get any leave for the first two weeks but after that we got every other weekend off. So I was back down to London after 3 weeks -and it was always an early finish about noon on the Friday before a leave weekend anyway, then back to the Depot on Sunday night.

Happy, smelly, mouthy memories of those Sunday nights on the coach from Darlington full of pongos going to Catterixck Garrison and us Rockapes going to the Depot. And all slagging each other off! :wink:

But times may have changed one way or the other. Maybe there's more leave now, maybe there's less. :wink:
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Also I have to agree with gunner. Kick her into touch mate. Plenty more fish in the sea, espeically when you're out with the lads trying to pull. You don't want to be saying nancy boy things like "Well, I've already got a girlfriend back home" Bollox!
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

hear hear! you say that kind of thing AFTER you have done the dirty and got her to cook you breakfast - then tell your mates how your such a top bloody bloke.
'Every man an Emperor'
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Pass her off to one of yer civvy mates to look after for you 8)
Fish in sea mate, fish in sea :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
DavidARichardson

Many Thanks for the replys Gentlemen,

Bin her, I am not sure thats a good plan. She is a bit of a stunner and I am an ugly drunk Idiot. Plus she has cooked me breakfast in the morning.

I am looking forward to this little adventure, learning new things like more drinking games and mixing different drinks. Finding new pubs and getting banned from them.

Once again many thanks and I shall keep people posted on how I get on. Now I am off to sit behind a desk for 8 hours shouting at people because the numbers are wrong. God only knows how they are wrong but shouting makes me feel better
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

DavidARichardson wrote:
I am looking forward to this little adventure, learning new things like more drinking games and mixing different drinks. Finding new pubs and getting banned from them.
hhhmmm.....perhaps not the totally correct attitude as a new sprog joining a tough regiment! Especially when I remember how our Cpls and Sgts used to deal with drunken gooby recruits on a Monday morning, Espcecially the ones they'd bumped into themselves when out on the
piss at the weekend......ooooohhh......doesn't bear thinking about. Well, a 6 km run with full kit with a hangover can't have been much fun.

Especially the idiot who got into trouble in Scarborough, he must have thought he'd be okay out on the coast. However Scarborough is not that far form Catterick & quite a few RAF Regt NCOs on 58 Sqn used to
live there or at least used to drink there at the weekends. So little did he know that one of his cpls was also in the same pub at the same time.

Jesus, he got a shock on parade on Monday morning when the cpl turned directly to him and staring at him and standing about an inch from his face, while addressing us, simply said "Now lads, 't wasn't me got chucked out of a pub in Scarborough last night - full kit outside 5 minutes"

He looked very green around the edges when he got back!

Never a weekend drinker meself, so I never got any of that punishment, but I remember many who did.
DavidARichardson

Thank you for the heads up there sir. Actually to tell the truth I have cut back on the old evil drink since Christmas. Much to the disapointment of several people here in sunny Southampton. I was kind off know for leading the way when it came to drinking, out drunk the rest off them. If there was a party or drinking game I was there and if there was a daft Idea I was normally at the front. Downing the pint of Black stuff and spilling ment a drink from the shoe.

Happy memorys but must pass the baton over to a new leader. Now I can be found in the gym getting ready and goodness I need to practice my swimming. Mind you I still like to show the new people how to drink every now and then.