Share This Page:

RAF and Asthma

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Reboot

RAF and Asthma

Post by Reboot »

I've been wanting to join the RAF for a while now (currently 20), been to the AFCO for a chat and I've got my Officer and Aircrew presentation booked for the 18th of January.

However as a child I had asthma for two years (age 4 to 6), never had a asthma attack never had any proper symptoms. When I was diagnosed it was down to shortness of breath and wheezing but these symptoms didn't persist much past the initial diagnosis. I never went to hospital for tests it was just a GP office diagnosis.

I was told at the AFCO that any history of asthma means not a chance in hell of getting accepted for any aircrew roles, I've been told I'm fine for ground crew roles which while I'm not viewing ground crew as sloppy seconds what I want is to apply for Weapons Systems Operator.

I went to the doctors today to see what could be done about my past asthma diagnosis and I was basically told that the diagnosis has been down in my records for such a period of time that it can't be removed. The best that can be done is a note saying that there is a possibility that the initial diagnosis of asthma was wrong and that it could simply of been a chest infection. However the word asthma would remain in my records.

I've got the "Asthma Supplement" form from the AFCO and basically I tick NO for everything apart from the initial question of have you ever had asthma.

Does anyone know how lenient the RAF medical review staff are, and whether I should shoot my dream down now? Either way I'll apply for Weapons Systems Operator despite the slim jim odds and the fact no other branch's currently leap out at me.

Cheers
Doc

Post by Doc »

Be honest or else when they find out (and they will as they write to your GP) they will bin you for being a lying toe rag.

On the plus side aslong as you have been symptom free and not taken any drugs for 5 years plus you should be ok. Why they diagnosed asthma with the symptoms you describe is baffling.

Good luck
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Maybe the orange in the mouth and bin bag over the head had a slight influence? :-?
But I`m not medically qualified obviously :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Further to my last,
have you tried sucking a Fisherman`s Friend? :-?

That was to you Reboot, as we all know Doc hasn`t just "tried" sucking a Fisherman`s Friend, he positively embraces the concept. :roll:

One does wonder though, how many friends has that fisherman got, ffs? :P :-?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Reboot - not sure I can really help with the asthma issue, I wouldn't imagine the Meds at Cranwell would be particularly lenient about anything, but explain the situation and let them decide. Getting a note put in to throw doubt on the initial diagnosis can't hurt, especially if You've not had any symptoms since and they never gave you any medication for it.
If you have any questions about WSOp training that can't be answered by a search through the RAF Forum on here, give me a shout.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

It sounds tough but they have thosands to pick from that have perfect health, so why should they spend millions in training some one that just might go down with asthma and be a dead loss to them
harry hackedoff

Go ed Tab :roll:
Piss on his bonfire :roll:
Tab

Post by Tab »

Why piss around with the truth Harry. What ever way they dress it up they ain't going to take as a aircrew
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

You ain't got a chance of Aircrew mate... For a start you're using two words that will immediately make the medic types ears prick up: 'Asthma' and 'wheezing'

The fact you can spell asthma (instead of athsma) shows either a good grasp of the Queens English or a rather too close association with the condition.

As for 'wheezing', it's another unhelpful flag that will bring red pens out and strike the words 'Unsuitable for Aircrew' across your application.

My daughter has just gone through this process and (like 90% of RAF applicants) wanted to be WSOp (When I joined the army in '77 it seemed 95% wanted to be avionics technicians!)

When she was 10, in the middle of a pretty hot summer (we did have one once) the air quality in our town became really bad and she did have a bit of trouble breathing, ending up with a slight wheeze. Nothing was diagnosed, certainly not asthma and in my mind it didn't last more than a week, during the really hot part of the day. But her mum took her to the doc's and she came back with a 'puffer thing'.

Hadn't really been bothered with it since.

Unfortunately however she was a little too honest when she filled out her application and mentioned this as it said 'Have you EVER.....?'

We had to get the doc's to send off a copy of her medical records to prove she never had asthma, but the word 'wheeze' was there in black and white so the forms came back as 'Ground Crew only'

She was pissed off but after a bit of a sulk she's now reapplied as an ASOp so we'll see what happens next...

Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear and you may still decide to give it a go but I wouldn't hold your breath (probably not advisable in your condition either :D ) The last thing the RAF will want to do is train you up, send you 'somewhere hot' and then find that the combination of altitude aircrew work and hot weather triggers your condition off again is it?
harry hackedoff

Sportbilly, what a top post mate, so unusual in the crabs forum :roll:
Sorry Hypes, can`t help meself :oops:

Welcome aboard Billy, enjoy yourself mate :wink:
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Harry, Ex-army .....but keeping an unhealthy listening watch on the Raf page as my daugther has taken a liking to this form of miltary participation...
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

Thanks for the suggestions, opinions and sorry about the late reply.

I've reviewed my medical records and it quite blatantly looks to me like a mis diagnosis.

I had 5 cases of coughs 2 of which had "slight wheezing", each case separated by at least a couple of months and each case before the age of 5, which I believe sounds more like bad coughs or minor chest infections.

With the last case I was diagnosed with asthma but all records after that state I was asymptomatic.

With no symptoms ever showing after the diagnosis of asthma I believe I was misdiagnosed with the Doctors favourite childhood illness of asthma.

I'm going into the AFCO for a presentation tomorrow and I'll be discussing the situation with them then.
han589

Post by han589 »

I had the same problem, i applied for the Army and stupidly put down that i sometimes got a wheezy chest when i had a cold as i child, bang my application was turned down i was gutted and have now ever since never ever mentioned the word Asthma or wheezing again!