Share This Page:

Joining the RAF

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Dragonschild

Joining the RAF

Post by Dragonschild »

im currently thinking about joining but dont really like the thought of having to stay in the full 9 years, could anyone tell me how long you have to stay in after the first year of training and around how much it would cost to buy out aprox? im mainly asking becuase i have mates in the raf who have brought out who have found their job boring becuase they have been placed in areas where there isnt a lot going on, im looking to become a physio in the RAF but i dont want to become qualified and find the RAF isnt for me and be stuck in for a whole load of years in something i dont like, i think they said you have to give 3years notice? if anyone can help be much appreciated 8)
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

from what I remember you can jack any time if its not for you and your not for them, but you have to do 18months notice, otherwise its 3 and a half years then a notice period. but dont quote me on that as when I was in it wasnt something I really looked into. Top tip for you aswell DO NOT go to the AFCO asking similar questions and come across as wanting to bail out when its bleak - you may get frowned upon!
'Every man an Emperor'
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Sounds like you’re not really committed to this ‘commitment’ malarkey if you’re already thinking of “what’s the best way of getting out” before you’re even in! Don’t join the queue if you don’t really want to get on the bus……….there’s plenty of lads/lasses out there who are desperate to get in so don’t block their passage!!!

If you’re looking at the medical support/physio roles then it takes some training and the Raf will need to be sure they’re not spending limited resources on someone who’s just after getting training then leaving shortly afterwards to make some money rubbing hot oils onto aging rich old ladies. Physio…..what sort? There’s plenty of guys coming back from current hot spots who are pretty banged up and needs lots of committed people around them to get them on the road to recovery. ……..And if you’ve got mates who’ve jumped off the bus because they “…….found their job boring because they have been placed in areas where there isnt a lot going on” Are you of the same mindset? What sort of ‘things going on’ are you looking for if you’re aiming to be a physio?
HMK

Post by HMK »

Mate if you just wanna be a physo then do it in civvy street. There is no need to join up to do it, get yourself to your local Uni or college. :D

One of the main reasons people join the military is for the job security i.e know you will have a job for at least 6 years and they can't just give you a weeks notice. If your committed you should "want" to join up and be in as long as you can!
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

As far as I am aware the best way to do what you want to do is join as a PTI and after a couple of years elect and hope you get streamed remedial PTI.
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
Dragonschild

Post by Dragonschild »

im just worried that ill get qualified and then have a job where i dont get much work and sit round doin nothing id rather get a job outside if that happens cos i rather work, ive got a mate whos in communications or somthing like that an hes gettin paid to play computer games he hardly does any work, had enough of that kind of thing in college, have to think about it and ask some people i guess, cheers for the help anyways :soldier_thumbs_up:
Weasel2008

Post by Weasel2008 »

You can get out 3 years after completing TRADE trg. In most cases that works out at just under 4 years service. Personally id look into trades available and find one that is pretty active and travel a lot.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Punctuation, grammar and syntax. The Holy Trinity of communication. Somewhat lacking here, though 8)

could anyone tell me how long you have to stay in
Till lunchtime mate, hope that helped :-?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]