Share This Page:

Joining as a pilot.

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Ungh...

I need to send off verification of my qualifications to Liverpool Uni. Problem is, I don't have any of my certificates, and so need replacements or Statements. Not normally a problem, except this is going to cost me around £200 0_o

All of this so I can go to uni. And the uni so I can join the RAF. God, if I don't get in after all of this trouble, I swear; someone is dying. Slowly and painfully.

Speaking of RAF, I need to arrange an interview to discuss the UAS and see if they want to fund some of my uni costs. And speaking of that, are they going to look at the same things they look at for hiring? Because if so, I don't have a hope in hell of getting any extra help from the RAF.

No rest for the wicked, eh?
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
The Southerner

Post by The Southerner »

_chris wrote: Theres a women up my road caleld Betty, sweet old lady, is it not discrimination we sing God Save the Queen, what about Betty? Should we not save her?

Hes royal, hes our future king, hes getting to know the inside of all our forces to prepare him for that role. Yes he gets to do all the cushy jobs, but he is royal, hes not the average joe of he street.

Also, hes never going to be used by the RAF as front line, so its not as important hes 100% for the job, hes only learning how to fly a jet for his fun.

And the recruiter was right, the armed forces are exempt from the discrimination laws. Thats why they can still force people to retire based on age which is also illegal. And the forces have many genuine reasons to be exempt from such laws.
The song-singing example isn't discrimination, because your mate Betty isn't in any way disadvantaged due to the lack of people singing about her, so it's in no way analogous to the Prince William/pilot situation!

Your argument is interesting- you keep saying he's "Royal"? Apparently, but what does that mean exactly other than he's descended from a certain family? It doesn't make him superhuman or gifted in any way. If anything it makes him completely out of touch with reality, because his entire life has been a relative fairytale in contrast to your average bloke.
As for needing to know how the forces work to prepare him for the "role" of king, kings are figureheads for fark's sake! Yes they get given nice military & civillian titles and lots of shiny medals, but let's face it- if the guy knew nothing about the military and had an IQ of 15, Britain and the British armed forces wouldn't be one jot worse off. If your argument were true then we'd have all been in serious trouble a long time ago as I wouldn't fancy Elizabeth as much of a military strategist, despite the fact that she's a dab hand at Risk.

So based on what you've said they're spending £2.5m of taxpayer's money training Wills to fly when his flying abilities are never really going to be put to use by the armed forces- he's just doing it for his own fun? Oh well that's alright then! Forget the ill-equipped boys out in Iraq/Afghanistan dodging rounds on a daily basis, let's spend a load of cash on some spoilt rich kid because he fancies dicking about in fast jets.
Last edited by The Southerner on Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Well said! :P
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~