Share This Page:

Uniform at funerals?

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Matlow

Uniform at funerals?

Post by Matlow »

Just wondered if anybody knows the rules about wearing nos1's at funerals.If so is there any time that you have to salute throughout it?may seem a strange thing to ask,but one needs to know,cheers guys.
Rockape

Post by Rockape »

Details on dress, etc, for military funerals are in the QRs for all three services. A military funeral will normally have an OIC or SNCO IC, who is responsible for making sure that bearers, firing party and military mourners are dressed appropriately.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I wore my No1´s to my Grandads Funeral, no-one of a forces persuasion was around so I saluted the coffin when it was carried from his house.
The only difference, but I may be wrong here, is you dont wear a lanyard?

If its just yourself going to a funeral mate just crack on and be proud.

Good luck with it.

Doc
mercury

Post by mercury »

It may be a good idea to approach the Adj or someone just to check its okay, as for saluting it can be a bit difficult to find an appropriate time and place
"certa cito"
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

You should always salute a dressed coffin when it is carried into church as it passes you. Other coffins can be saluted if you knew the person or if you want to (i.e. you don't have to)... vauge, but it a general rule of thumb. Mourning dress is detailed in BR81 and QRRN's. It depends on who's funeral it is as to what extras you wear. A SNCO wears a armband and in the RM ORs black out the second button on their blues. If it is a family funeral... stick your rig on and do whatever you are able to.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]