Share This Page:

French Foreign Legion

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Hello again all .I was unemployed when I joined the forum.As for disability
I suffered from depression for a while so yes in a way it is a disability.
But I`m alright now.But I`m seriously considering the FFL that`s why I started the Thread.I want to know what I`m getting myself in for.
As for being a Walter-i`ll clarify this straight away I am just a civillian who has no military experience whatsoever.
I have my forms sent in for the Irish defence forces and I have my interview coming up.
A few people here are telling me to go for the FFl,there`s more opportunity there.
Optimum Optare.
lee909

Post by lee909 »

join the british army, irish guards or something. i cant see why you would want to fight for the french :D
RobT

Post by RobT »

lee909 wrote:why you would want to fight for the french
And bloody speak french day in day out! The FFL are a great force though, my mate swapped one of his para berets for a Kepi from a bloke in 2 REP

He thought it was a good swap

Rob
lew

Post by lew »

I'm sure there good at what they do, but as lee and Rob T said, why the hell would you want to serve under french command, join either the Irish defence force or us...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Can he serve for us? I mean could he get clearance coming from Ireland, I mean I got asked about 5 times if I relatives in ireland, and that was just in the north!

FFL scare me, hell my french teacher scared me :o , I'd join the yanks if I were you but I guess it's a lot more hassle what with citizenship and all that.

PS - I knew Padre from another forum, he's no walter, just very ambitious, which ain't no bad thing in my book :D
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
Slimer

Post by Slimer »

I think Eire citizens can join the british forces, as can most commonwealth citizens. They can sign a british passport application after all. I think the only difference is that they may be restricted from certain jobs and serving in N.Ireland.

Ian.
Padre

Post by Padre »

yeah I thought about appying for the royal Marines but as far as I know you have to be a brittish/commonwealth citizen although on their homepage they said they accepted people from the irish republic.A few here have told me to go for the Brittish army (actually there`s a 16 year
old here going to join www.irishmilitaryonline.ie).
There`s a few Irish in the Irish Guards and the RIR but I`ve heard a few stories how alot of them got awful abuse from squaddies who served up
north and when they returned home and found out there was irish in their unit they gave them an awful time even the officers,I heard they also get alot of abuse from the RM`s and the Para`s so that sort of put me off.
Maybe it might be a few incidents I don`t know .
Last edited by Padre on Mon 08 Mar, 2004 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Optimum Optare.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Why is everyone so against the French?It`s not the whole England/France
thing ,is it?

Aldo long time no hear.When are you going to PRMC???
Optimum Optare.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Not sure now mate, I might go when I get my call back (should only be a few months now) but I've just joined the Green Howards TA so I think I'll probably stick around there for a while.
lee909

Post by lee909 »

when i went to france it seemed like they looked down their noes at me because i was british. on the issue about absue there was a boy from ireland in training with me and everyone got on with him so it might just be the odd twat
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Personally I don't get on with the French, I'm no xenophobe it just seems that everything French person I meet is horrible. I once had a French teacher (as in a teacher from france :) ) at school who was a right barsteward, he always used to look down on everyone including his boss, chat up all the year 11 girls (and a lad I knew :o ) and collected M&Ms, he ended up walking out in the middle of a class because he thought he was better than the school! So overall I ain't had a good impression of the frogs.
jpb

Post by jpb »

padre,

if you are no walter then why do you have the ARW unit flash as an avator, and where are all the inane question's that you were asking on the irish militery site, and what about all the post's that were deleted because they did not make sense, also what about your religious issue's with you being a mormon and all that and the thing's you can and can't do, and then you say that you are disabled with depression, do you actually think that you would get through recruit training at a basic level with an inf unit and not be spotted, never mind a special force's unit like the FFL or the Royal Marine's, these are not boy scout's but people that made a choice in life to become professional militery and they are good at what they do, not play around in web-site's trying to talk the talk and get in with the lad's, grow up and get a life, you say you are not a walter, maybe people here would have a different opinion if they read some of the shit you have been posting on other site's,

oh, and by the way, have you shared here about your adolescent conversation's about the ARW and how MAD the post's here on the BRIT site were = WALTER, no wonder they were deleted :fist: ,

keep safe.
bob

Post by bob »

ill reserve my decision on this..time will tell all......

Saw a documentary on the FFL....if youve got a mental problem....it will get way worse in there...stay a civie and enjoy things...sometimes you cant do things however much you want to....

:drinking: to you sorrows mate
posted to 40....40 in october...life ends at 42!!!
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

jpb wrote:padre,

if you are no walter then why do you have the ARW unit flash as an avator, and where are all the inane question's that you were asking on the irish militery site, and what about all the post's that were deleted because they did not make sense, also what about your religious issue's with you being a mormon and all that and the thing's you can and can't do, and then you say that you are disabled with depression, do you actually think that you would get through recruit training at a basic level with an inf unit and not be spotted, never mind a special force's unit like the FFL or the Royal Marine's, these are not boy scout's but people that made a choice in life to become professional militery and they are good at what they do, not play around in web-site's trying to talk the talk and get in with the lad's, grow up and get a life, you say you are not a walter, maybe people here would have a different opinion if they read some of the shit you have been posting on other site's,

oh, and by the way, have you shared here about your adolescent conversation's about the ARW and how MAD the post's here on the BRIT site were = WALTER, no wonder they were deleted :fist: ,

keep safe.
That is THE longest sentence I have ever seen!