Share This Page:

The twenty eight day club

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

Post by Tab »

RSM Nobby Arnold,who was our sergeant for a while in the 50's. Now I saw him run a bloke into nick for having a spider on his bed. The charge
was keeping livestock with out permission. He caught us one time stealing corrugated iron sheets to use as flooring in our tents. Well Nobby could not spell corrugated iron so put on the charge sheet wriggle tin. Well our OC could not stop laughing we got thrown out of the office and we never heard a thing more about it. Stories Nobby Arnold could fill this site and any one who served with our Nob could tell you a dozen of them/
adj125

Post by adj125 »

Tab wrote:Stories Nobby Arnold could fill this site and any one who served with our Nob could tell you a dozen of them/
They even named a ridge/spur after him in Radfan
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

Big Nobby Arnold one fine gentleman,I fell foul of him in Aldershot when I was with 2 Para I crossed his sacred square when he was RSM of 3 Para,we were in Bruneval Bks and 3 Para were in Arnhem Bks and I had to take a message to the Adj of 3 Para from our Adj and I went across the land of ill repute the Square.He waited until I had crossed the square and he stopped me asking in his usual polite manner what the F**K I was doing on his square,I said sorry sir my mistake I won't do it again, you'd better believe it you won't do it again sonny boy and clouted me around the lugs with his pace stick,this time I will forgive you, as you are a member of 2 Para and you have my sympathy they don't have any brains in that Battalion.What a nice gentleman he was,sadly he is no longer with us no doubt keeping things going in heaven up to the Para standard.God created the earth in seven days and on the eighth day he made the Paras and Devil stood to attention. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Army dit.

OC always held 'orders' with his two dogs present - Dobermans, sat either side of him.

As the 'guilty barstard' was marched in with the normal shouting and banging of feet, the dog’s reaction sealed your fate.

A low growl and you were guilty, a show of teeth and a snarl you were deep in the brown stuff, (God save you if they ever barked) however, waggy tails you walked free.

The OC who was very much old school and as eccentric as they come, firmly believed the dogs knew a mans character the moment they entered the room. Who could ask for a sounder method of military justice? :(
Tab

Post by Tab »

While we are on the subject of characters any one out there remember Big Joe Lee of 1 Para.
adj125

Post by adj125 »

Tab wrote:While we are on the subject of characters any one out there remember Big Joe Lee of 1 Para.
He was stabbed by a bayonet in Khormacsor RAF aden by a RAF guard who refused him entry into the camp The bayonet snapped off in his belly within in 2 days he was back on duty
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Screamingskull

Re:

Post by Screamingskull »

Tab wrote:While we are on the subject of characters any one out there remember Big Joe Lee of 1 Para.
I remember Joe, he was a legend and a great bloke. We were in a hanger in an RAF Station somewhere in East Anglia and I was in a mess packing my CSPEP on my first jump with 1 Para (and fresh out of Depot) when Joe helped me get it together.

Later I worked with him in the QM's Dept and remember him making a point of marching past brand new officers and saluting them so they had to return it.
Wholley

Re: The twenty eight day club

Post by Wholley »

This has to be a record!!!!!!!!!
I don't recall anyone replying to an eight year old post.
You get the prize(if we had one) :lol:
got1

Re: The twenty eight day club

Post by got1 »

You could write a book on Joe, there is a book out now on Nobby, it's called Nobbys Story.
ps I knew both of them very well.