Share This Page:

Last Round, Mark Nicol

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
F.U.B.A.R

Last Round, Mark Nicol

Post by F.U.B.A.R »

This is an awesome read, its the story of the red caps, the paras and the battle Majar, when in 2003 on 24th June the six red caps were murdered. :(
It is a chilling blow by blow account of what happened.
It doesnt however explain WHY the men from all the sections were so short on ammo and comms. :evil:

I have to admitt I cried at parts in the book, i have got emotinal at other books, but this one actually made the tears fall. :cry:

If you need reminding or want to try to explain to someone why the forces become a second family to you, and why sometimes there are sights you will never stop seeing, then get this book.

And if there is anyone who does not get emotinal reading this, then they are made of stone.
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

As I am ex 1 Para I know quite a few of the guys mentioned in this book, the senior blokes anyway. I was in depot with John Dolman, we were in the same Platoon in 1 Para together for 4 years and served in Belfast together. He died in Iraq doing security work a few years ago. RIP mate. Jock Robbo is another good mate, he's out now.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

While the book has a great account of what the 1 PARA lads got up to that day and which is why I bought it, the account of what exactly happened to the six RMP is way too speculative - for obvious reasons.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Greenronnie wrote:As I am ex 1 Para I know quite a few of the guys mentioned in this book, the senior blokes anyway. I was in depot with John Dolman, we were in the same Platoon in 1 Para together for 4 years and served in Belfast together. He died in Iraq doing security work a few years ago. RIP mate. Jock Robbo is another good mate, he's out now.
Jock Robbo along with Westy are legends here at ITC Gym for being the fittest blokes this place has known. Once went too a Thai Boxing show with John Dolman and i ended up fighting on it myself, i even have his old weight lifting belt in my locker.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Westy, Dolly, Robbo and I were all in the same Platoon in 1 Para!

As for the book, haven't read it, just saw a couple of mucker's faces in the pics. Heard it was a bit dodgy.
F.U.B.A.R

Post by F.U.B.A.R »

Greenronnie wrote:. I was in depot with John Dolman, we were in the same Platoon in 1 Para together for 4 years and served in Belfast together. He died in Iraq doing security work a few years ago. RIP mate. .
the book speaks highly of him, it describes him and a few others as "a soldiers soldier!"

The book does concentrate alot on the para side of it, so the title of the book is a little misleading as you dont get the story you think you will, and at the end the author has filled it with politics and what the goverment did, didnt do, should have done and will do. And if you dont follow politics ,at that point in the book your screwed!!
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them