Share This Page:

Royal Marines

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Tom96

Royal Marines

Post by Tom96 »

Hi everyone.

I weigh around 261 lbs which is roughly 17/18 Stone. And I was shocked when I weighed myself, cause I certainly don't even look 15 stone. But I'm wanting to join the forces. Either RMC or Para's but I'll post that elsewhere. Fed up of being practically obese and if I don't do something about it now I never will.

Could anyone recommend a good "sturdy" Training programme for me that would slowly but dramatically improve my Health, Fitness and Strength? I have a Gym membership but haven't been in a couple months. But I'd like to simply start off light, don't exactly fancy an injury because I trained too hard for my current phys levels. I don't know when I want to join, I know nobody is born a RMC, and you certainly can't train to be one in civvy street, but I'd preferably want to train as best as I can so I wouldn't have to re-do any tests I'd have to do in RMC Training.

So however long it takes, but I'd preferably like to be able to complete The PMRC(Potential Royal Marines Course) With ease in 5-7 Months. Not sure if that's a bit ambitious considering that even people who were professional athletes before they signed up fail at RMC Training so, I'll do whatever it takes.

And lastly, I know that some of you may say deep down it's up to what I want, which is obviously true. But I've had a look at both RMC/Para's but just can't chose. I like the aspect of being a Paratrooper because well, of the Parachuting. But I also like the aspect of being deployed by Ship/Amphibious Vehicle as well.. /: I guess I don't really know what answer I'm looking for about this, but is there anyone who could give me an insiders view of either Forces?

Any suggestions?
Thanks guys.
ofens

Re: Royal Marines

Post by ofens »

Start with a "general fitness" approach for a few weeks, depending on your level of existing fitness. The gym staff should be able to help with this.
Don't let them talk you out of doing things outside the gym though - outdoor running (light jogging if you are unfit and starting out) is important.
You could then approach the AFCO and they should advise you on how to approach developing your training from "general fitness" to what you need to do to be ready for PRMC.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

A lot of Rugby Players are heavy but very fit.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

What are you're fitness levels like just now? If you're fit but heavy then the only problem will be the medical for you. To lose weight I would personally start of doing long slow runs about 4 times a week and eat healthily ie. still eat enough food but don't indulge in crap like chocolate and take aways all the time.

Both the marines and paras are quality. I can't vouch for the paras but from the Royal Marines perspective you'll be working with a great bunch of lads, everyone from marines upto the officers are genuinely sounds as! always having a laugh and just getting on with the job!