Share This Page:

19 Yrs Old, Student, Wanting to Join 21 SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
MountainGuy

19 Yrs Old, Student, Wanting to Join 21 SAS

Post by MountainGuy »

So as the above states Im 19 and wanting to join the 21 Special Air Service. What I would really like is advice on the weight training/bergen training that I will need to be doing in order to prepare for selection. Also, would I have an advantage if I joined my universities UOTC for 1 year before going for the SAS? Or will the Regiment literally start me off from scratch. At what point in the year does selection begin? And, am I too young?

A bit of background;

im an international junior gb athlete, but have recently become a bit disheartened with the sport. I read in a previous post that a minimum fitness requirement would be 10 miles in under 60 mins. I have run 51.37 for 10 miles so that is covered. However obviously I have the build of an athlete and not a soldier (im just under 6 foot and just under 10 stone). So I need advice on building this up, obviously the current build that I am at the moment couldn't hack massive full equipment tabs. I do 5 x 50 press ups with a 30 second recovery every morning and night, but I think the ability to do this is down mostly on my light body weight. would it be better if i did it with a weighted rucksack/bergen on. I'm horrendous at swimming, will that be a hinderence?

im a student, currently 4 days a week at uni in the midlands. where is the nearest reserve SAS unit based?

cheers for any responses

MountainGuy
Ares-God of War

Re: 19 Yrs Old, Student, Wanting to Join 21 SAS

Post by Ares-God of War »

Hi there

You will need to be able to swim fairly well. UOTC probably wont do much but no harm in joining whilst building up fitness and swimming ability.

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Tab

Post by Tab »

You have to have been a member of the Armed Forces for a couple of years and then you apply for the SAS, they do not take people straight of the streets for training. 60% of all people in the SAS come from the Parachute Regiment
Ares-God of War

Hi MountainGuy
Just information on squadron recruitment area. So it may be 23 SAS instead.
21st Special Air Service Regiment
(21 SAS)
HQ Squadron based at the Duke Of York Barracks in London
A Squadron (Greater London)
C Squadron (East Anglia and Eastern Wessex)
E Squadron (Wales)
23rd Special Air Service Regiment
(23 SAS)
HQ Squadron (West Midlands)
B Squadron (Yorkshire and Humberside)
D Squadron (Scotland)
G Squadron (North and North West of England)

Tab civilians can join 21 and 23 SAS with no prior military experience.
You should be:
Sex: Male
Territorial Army Age: 18 - 33.11 years
You should have:
Qualifications: Civilians with no previous service can apply as well as personnel who have served in the Army as a Regular or Territorial.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/ ... -reserves/

Ares

Baba

Post by Baba »

Am I correct in thinking that Special Forces won't badge you at such a young age (early 20's?) due to wanting a more mature head and shoulders?
Ares-God of War

Baba wrote:Am I correct in thinking that Special Forces won't badge you at such a young age (early 20's?) due to wanting a more mature head and shoulders?
i havent heard anything to support this. if you pass you get badged.

Ares

MTB

Post by MTB »

Nearly all in 21 and 23 are ex regular infantry, TA Para's or Royal Marine reservists (RMR). My advice is join the RMR, if you can pass this selection stay the full four years. Then and only then try 23 selection (everything north of Birmingham is 23)

To try 22 selection you have to be minim three years regular infantry (and not an embarrassment but an ambassador for your Reg and it is usually from the Para,s or Royal Marines)

To try 22 selection from 21 SAS or 23 SAS it is only one year. That should set the scene for trying 23 SAS selection. Please note: If you succeed in passing 23 SAS selection you will be required to walk the line...So be prepared to accept that and all that it implies.