Share This Page:

Joining the Royal Navy.

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
hawky94

Joining the Royal Navy.

Post by hawky94 »

Hi there, I'll be out of school in 8 months and I'll be 18 - I'm planning on joining the RN as an armourer, not a naval weapons tech - I'm talking small arms (pistols, rifles, etc) I'm wondering whether that's better suited to joining the Army? I also live in Canada, despite being from the UK - I'm wondering how my Canadian high school marks would correlate with the English system?

Also, are there any tips you guys can offer before I join, (i.e: fitness, etc).

Thanks, hawky :)
timex

Re: Joining the Royal Navy.

Post by timex »

I'd suggest a good search of the MOD website for the RN then an e-mail to an adviser asking for info, they should also be able to answer your question ref qualifications.

As to the armourers job, in the RN the Weapons branch does everything related to things going bang be it from Ships, Helicopters or Jets (if they get them back). The kind of job you want to do is only a tiny part of that branch (highly sought after as its usually on a shore base) so I'd suggest the Army.
Nero

Re: Joining the Royal Navy.

Post by Nero »

timex wrote:I'd suggest a good search of the MOD website for the RN then an e-mail to an adviser asking for info, they should also be able to answer your question ref qualifications.

As to the armourers job, in the RN the Weapons branch does everything related to things going bang be it from Ships, Helicopters or Jets (if they get them back). The kind of job you want to do is only a tiny part of that branch (highly sought after as its usually on a shore base) so I'd suggest the Army.
Or the air force.

I would suggest getting in touch with the relevant departments, e-mail the navy regarding your situation and they will help you out as much as they can.