Share This Page:

Getting a new civvy job whilst in the TA

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Woodsey

Getting a new civvy job whilst in the TA

Post by Woodsey »

If you go to interview for a new job whilst in the TA, do you find prospective employers won't employ you because of your commitment or are they ok about it?

Also, does any of the TA's unit based training interfere with a monday to friday 8 til 4 (or 9 til 5) regular jobs or is everything weekends and evenings? (bar the 3 weeks away per year Annual Camp or if you're mobilised)
Tab

Re: Getting a new civvy job whilst in the TA

Post by Tab »

It is up to you whether you play soldier or work at getting on in your civvy street job. Not all employers are keen on their staff going missing for half a year at time when they go on tour
Woodsey

Post by Woodsey »

So it's a battle? But you're led to believe all is cushty and mobilisation isn't a long deal? Give and take no?

I guess I told myself these things?

I thought I would be in reserve, not regular. I'm not shying away but I don't wanna be in the regs because I also enjoy civilian life with my job and my family. I want the best of both to be honest.

I was RM in 1998 to 2002, I don't want a full commitment at the age of 31 but I so miss military life.

Are you saying that what I thought is not the case? Please tell your experience?
Tab

Post by Tab »

Woodsey.......I am just an old fart who left the Army many years ago, but I am still invited back and spend few days with the Regiment, and who is still in loop on many things that are going on.
Woodsey

Post by Woodsey »

Fair play, I'm not worried about me though, I'd join the regs tomorrow but I think the misses would have a break down, lol