Share This Page:

advice about re-joining please

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
richy1234

advice about re-joining please

Post by richy1234 »

Hello all, this is my first time using this forum and i am here to seek some help or advice on be-half of my son.

Basically he joined the navy at 16 and didnt have the best start with problems settling in at raleigh and this led him to find it hard to mix with the other lads and lasses throughout the rest of his career in the navy.

He now knows that he should have left before he was 18, but he stayed past his 18th birthday and was then locked into a 4 year contract as am sure you will all know.

Anyways cutting a long story short when he was 19 he really couldnt handle the navy life and was discharged for being TU (S) which he has told me means tempramentally unsutiable (severe) Probably means more to you guys reading this than it does to me.

Now a few years on down the line he is older and more mature and is regretting not sticking at the navy life and giving it a proper shot and he would like re-join but isnt sure if it is possible with the reason he was discharged. I think he is ashamed of it and wants now to re-join and put it things right. However he is shy about going into the careers office and asking as he thinks its pretty much a no hoper of him being able to join back up, so i thought i would speak to you all on here and basically see if you have ever heard of anyone being able to re-join after being dishcarged for the reason he was.

I would like to know just so i can tell him to either forget about it or try to re-join, i can tell it bothers him quite abit and i just want to be able to help him out.

Anyway thanks for reading this and look forward to reading the replys.
timex

Re: advice about re-joining please

Post by timex »

I'd suggest a call to the Careers Office, all three Services are seeing a lot more applicants so they can be selective.
submariney

Re: advice about re-joining please

Post by submariney »

Hello

I know your post was dated some time ago, but having dealt with TU cases, I can answer your question.

TU, Temperamentally Unsuitable means just that; does not have the temperament required for life in the Royal Navy. This is more common than some people may think and many young ladies and gents leave through this route. It is just like some people not having what it takes for other jobs, so they leave and move on. It is an honourable discharge.

Now, as for rejoining. It is laid down in the regulations that when a CO discharges someone TU, an appraisal must be written (known as an SJAR) and the CO may state that an individual would be allowed to APPLY to rejoin after a particular time has past eg 2 years. Conversely, the SJAR may state that an individual 'is not recommended for future service'. So it really does depend on what was decided at the time of discharge. I agree with the last reply; he should speak to an AFCO and take it from there. There maybe a chance to rejoin (bearing in mind recent redundancy announcements etc)

I'd be interested to know the outcome. Hope this helps

Thank you