Share This Page:

Communications Technician

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Brummielad

Communications Technician

Post by Brummielad »

Anyone have any inside info on what this job would be like. Also would it be a good idea to try for this job?

Any info will be helpful lads

:D
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

The comms branches are good to go in, and apparently have fast promotion too. Have you looked at CIS specs alongside CTs and compared the two? I know CIS are alot more sneaky beaky and definately get promoted alot quicker than most other trades.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

Ta mate.

Apparently communication techs get more pay than most branches in there.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

Can anyone confirm this and if so how much do they get a year.

I'm really having trouble finding something worthwhile to do in the Navy so when I come out I have good qualifications and good job prospects.

What else can communication technicians work as in civilian life?

Also how do you become a PTI in the Navy as that is something I would like to do but at the moment all I can find is in for on the RAF for it?

I know there's a lot of questions there.

Any sort of feedback would be well appreciated as I am getting a bit desperate now.
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

I'm not entirely sure on pay to be honest, but I'm positive they have great promotional prospects. If you know any other languages fluently you can get paid extra for that.

Well, alot of the instructors where I'm based used to be communicators, and apparently there's quite a need for them out in industry. Heard a dit on ship that an ex CPO comms maintainer went to go work on 1 of Richard Branson's yachts as a maintainer, raking in shed-loads. But the branch is so extensive that theres tonnes of possibilities. Infact, as we speak I'm currently on an RF Comms course.

Think of anything that uses RF. Everything from your home phone to satellites. But to be honest, you'll probably have alot of experience plus opportunities to turn them into professional qualifications and can go into almost anything technical. Also, if all else fails then the Navy's civilian partnership with "Flagship" will probably help. Alot of ex-matelots who want to be out the mob but aren't sure if they can cope with a completely civvie life become civilian instructors to train us.

PTI is a transfer branch. You need to be already in the Navy to transfer across to it. Think it's a 9 month course or something.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

Ta mate. I am hoping to join up soon I'm just trying to make the right choice and not rush into anything. Spoke to a Navy bloke at the AFCO and he said there aren't many things better than a communication technicican apart from flying etc.

He said my best bets would be aircraft engineer or communications technician.

So hopefully I do one of these and then try my luck at becoming a PTI after completing my training etc.

Anyone else have any info please post as it is helping a great deal.
dingmilitary

Re: Communications Technician

Post by dingmilitary »

Anyone here looking for a equipment of mariners? like in marine communication they have radio, I'm looking for a best online shop that can offer that products.