Share This Page:

Which Reserves ???

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
Crawley Spur

Which Reserves ???

Post by Crawley Spur »

Hi,
I am new to these forums and i am hoping someone may be able to help me out ??
I am thinking about joining as a reserve but i am undecided which to join, is there a better reserve outfit to join than the rest i.e is the RMR better than the TA or RNR ??
Thanks for your help.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Crawley eh? Which part of Crawley are ya from fella. I just moved away from there.

O and before someone else chimes in, I might aswell be the first.

RMR is the best! (I have to say that since one of my instructors is RMR)
Crawley Spur

Post by Crawley Spur »

I live in Bewbush now, grew up in Ifield.
Any reason RMR is the best ?? Is one unit more likely than another to get called up ??

Thanks again
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Honestly, I couldnt tell you. I just have to be bias because Im going for the RMs myself.

Not a Bennett lad by any chance are ya?
Crawley Spur

Post by Crawley Spur »

No mate ICC.
rockapegooch

Post by rockapegooch »

PAGreenwell wrote:The RAF Regiment reserves (RAuxAf) are regularly being called up at the moment as are many from the RMR.

At the end of the day you should join whichever reserve unit you'd feel happiest in rather than worrying about which is 'better'.
The lad would feel happiest in the unit which is the best. Obviously this is Raf Regiment reserves.
Crawley Spur

Post by Crawley Spur »

Does anyone know anything about the HAC ?? They are just down the road from where i work so i was thinking about popping in there.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

http://www.hac.org.uk/

The HAC are a cross between a TA unit and some sort of City Livery Company/old boys club. The Regiment is steeped in history and full of odd traditions

Fantatsic social life (if you like that sort of things). They have a variety of roles ranging from playing in a band to doing surveillance and target acquisition (STA) patrols. The STA selection is tough and involves lots of weekends in the Brecon Beacons. It has unrivaled sporting opportunities too and a rather nice TA Centre (if you can call it that!)

I met a couple of HAC chaps on a course a while back and they were decent chaps. Is often used as a stepping stone to 21 SAS and I know of at least two people who have done that.

If you want to get called up, there are plenty of chances (a HAC Tpr was killed in Afghan last year). They support a regular Artillery Battery.

http://www2.army.mod.uk/5regtra/organis ... /index.htm

As everyione else has said, there are pros and cons to every unit. The biggest advantage the TA has over all the others is that it is the biggest, therefore could offer you a broad choice of part time career. That being said, I went from the TA to the RAuxAF and couldn't be happier!

If you are in London, its worth looking at this

http://www.reserve-forces-london.org.uk ... rve06b.htm