Share This Page:

BBC Paras Series – “Where are they now?”

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
SO19

Post by SO19 »

This sounds promising... taken from their frontpage.

http://www.parachute-regiment.com/

In 1982 the Parachute Regiment helped the BBC make a highly successful television series on what it takes to be a Para. The seven programmes were shown on BBC1 in Mar / Apr 1983, after the Falklands War. The cameras followed the recruits of 480 Platoon from the day they enlisted in January 1982, through basic training at Aldershot, then P Company, parachuting at Brize Norton, and the passing out parade at Aldershot on 16 July 1982, then on with some of them to Northern Ireland. Most of the 23 who qualified went to 2 and 3 PARA. Author Frank Hilton wrote an equally successful companion book to the series “The Paras”.

Frank Hilton and producer David Harrison are keen to contact former members of 480 Platoon – and the staff who trained them – with a view to making a follow-up programme. Harrison says: “We would like to know what happened to the soldiers we came to know so well in the programmes, about their time long or short spent in the Army, and what sort of career they have followed since. If you are an ex-member of 480 Platoon or know anyone who was – or helped train them – we’d love to hear from you”.

RHQ PARA is assisting Frank Hilton and David Harrison with their project and would like to make first contact to ensure only the details of those happy to participate are released. If you are ex-480 Platoon or were a member of the training staff and are happy for Frank Hilton or David Harrison to contact you, please forward your contact details FAO Mike Edgeley (quoting ‘480 Platoon’) to RHQ PARA at:
(check site for contact info)
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

When I was doing the TACP, the Para had a team which included the biff who farked everything up, total space cadet he was. :roll: Good larf down the pub mind 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Your right SO19, that does sound good. That series was a big help when i was in the process of joining the regt. I cant remember how many times i have watched it, but it always motivated me to go for a run or go down the gym when i wasnt in the mood.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

I do know that one of the lads is RSM of the Special Air Service now, and his son is in the Parachute Regiment. If i told you anymore i would have to kill you :wink:

Anyway, the guy who didn't do his last jump and transfered to RRF, my brothers college tutor is one of his best mates.
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
SO19

Post by SO19 »

I wonder if Phil ****** is still working at Radio Rentals? :lol:
Ploggers

Post by Ploggers »

Grimey Vibes wrote:I do know that one of the lads is RSM of the Special Air Service now, and his son is in the Parachute Regiment. If i told you anymore i would have to kill you :wink:

Anyway, the guy who didn't do his last jump and transfered to RRF, my brothers college tutor is one of his best mates.

I'm a bit confused at that. The current RSM at Hereford is a Falklands vet (2 Para) that being the case, I'm not sure how he went through depot para in 83.
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

First i have heard of that program, would like to see that, i am mega sad as i love programs like that they intrest me, as i am not into cap badge politics.
Dave.Mil

Post by Dave.Mil »

gone
Last edited by Dave.Mil on Fri 02 Dec, 2005 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Aint spoken to you in ages Ploggers, i might be mistaken then. But a Lt Col in the Paras told me that earlier this year. The man is a big cheese in SAS though, ovetime i might have upped his rank a bit then, do they have WO2's in SAS?
Get on "PARADE"

Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I got the book from this, my brother bought it many years ago. If anyone wants it just give me a shout, I have no need for it at all.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Aint spoken to you in ages Ploggers, i might be mistaken then. But a Lt Col in the Paras told me that earlier this year. The man is a big cheese in SAS though, ovetime i might have upped his rank a bit then, do they have WO2's in SAS?
Pardon :o

What are you on about Vibes :roll: ffs?
Current RSM at H`ford is a cross dressing homosexual, or he was last time I swapped spit with him in the heads. No sense of romance, of course :roll:
For all you real HGC Members, the little fat Jock wasn`t all bad :P Anyone with the dress sense to turn to at an English/Sarf Efrikaan Rugby Game wearing tartan trews which would shame a dyslexic American and a Springbok shirt can`t be all bad. :P
Or can they :o
Fashion, sense and severe lack of :oops:
He probably meant well :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

Ploggers wrote:
Grimey Vibes wrote:I do know that one of the lads is RSM of the Special Air Service now, and his son is in the Parachute Regiment. If i told you anymore i would have to kill you :wink:

I'm a bit confused at that. The current RSM at Hereford is a Falklands vet (2 Para) that being the case, I'm not sure how he went through depot para in 83.
Could he not be the RSM of 21 or 23???

For what it is worth, one of the DS (Al Slater) later joined the SAS, won the MM and was killed in Northern Ireland
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Hantslad wrote:
Ploggers wrote:

For what it is worth, one of the DS (Al Slater) later joined the SAS, won the MM and was killed in Northern Ireland
They called him "Mr Angry". In the series he looked a top bloke and really knew his stuff. Shame.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Hantslad wrote:For what it is worth, one of the DS (Al Slater) later joined the SAS, won the MM and was killed in Northern Ireland
24332940 SLATER, Alistair Ira
Sergeant
Died: Northern Ireland 2nd. December 1984 Age 28
22nd. Special Air Service Regiment
Military Medal
Buried: St. Martins Churchyard, Hereford - SAS Regimental Plot, Row 1

See: Allied Special Forces Roll of Honour. 22 Special Air Service Regiment 1983 - 1990 at http://www.alliedspecialforces.org/home.htm

Judging by his regimental number, he must have joined in the early to mid-70's.

Same age as my mucker who was killed in Bosnia ten years later in Bosnia, except Fergie joined about 18 months after me:

24653379 RENNIE, Fergus McIndoe
Trooper
Died: Bosnia 15th. April 1994 Age 28
Parachute Regiment & 22nd. Special Air Service Regiment
St. Martins Cemetery, Hereford - SAS Regimental Plot, Row 2
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Hantslad wrote:
Ploggers wrote:

Could be, i don't speak to this Lt Col anymore as i aint based there, so i can't ask him. But i will get someone else to ask him, then we can sort this out.
Get on "PARADE"