Share This Page:

ENTENTE CORDIAL

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Tab

ENTENTE CORDIAL

Post by Tab »

The British Government is planning events to celebrate the the 100th anniversary of the Entente Cordial. Now I know what what France has got out of it, just have a look at all the British Military Cemeteries in France.
What I would like to know just what have the British got out of this treaty.
May be some one out there has an idea they would like to share??????.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

Never heard of it Tabbers, but then again I was mostly uneducated until I moved here. Care to indulge?
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Ben
In 1904 Britain and France signed a Pact called Entente Cordial where they agreed to sort of bury the hatchet once and for all and co-operate in many matters that would affect both countries, one of the reasons we wound up in WW1.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Tab

You sneaky sod - so you knew the answer all along! :lol:

Well apart from saying we haven't had a war with our 'principal enemy' since! :-? Ignoring sheep, BSE, asylum seekers, etc.., of course! :o
Tab

Post by Tab »

Well the Queen bless her, seems to be having fun over there.
may18

Post by may18 »

Ive been watching the coverage and reading the french press.

To be fair, i wish she was shown the respect in england that she is being shown in france.

I was not happy to see the government had given her a deeply political speech to make however. It flies in the face of tradition
Seven

Post by Seven »

I believe the British involvement in WW1 was actually caused by a treaty with Belgium. After the Belgian war for independence with Holland, the Belgians were afraid the Dutch might invade them again (this was back in 1839) and made an agreement with Britain that in case of invasion (not specifying by whom) the British would assist them. I'm not saying that without this treaty Britain would not have been involved, but than I don't think Britain would have stayed out of it without the Entente Cordial. What did Britain get out of it? It remained a major political and military power for another 50 years.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain