Share This Page:

Tuition fees

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.

Tuition fees?

I had a free University education why should others pay?
4%
Yes they should pay more
44%
No they should not have to pay more than they are now
41%
other ...
11%

Total votes: 27

RobT

Tuition fees

Post by RobT »

It will leave some people coming out of Uni with debts over 10,000 pounds and more. Even then students aren't guaranteed a well paid job.

So Blair won't back down about the tuition fees when nearly all are against him including his own men.

What do you think?
Jon

Post by Jon »

They shouldnt have to pay in the first place. Education is a right, paying for it only excludes some from that right because they wont be able to afford it. If Saddam enabled free uni education in Iraq, surely Blair can do it here.

I believe that state support should be removed (such as the dole and free benefits) since many people abuse them and that money should be used more usefully (not on Aslym Seekers, the dome, etc).
The Best Is Yet To Come
mattt_h

Post by mattt_h »

ive put they should pay more not because i dont think education is a right but to stop as many people going to uni the reason jobs are hard to come by after uni because of the high numbers of graduates if more people took trades be a lot better in my opinion
Because i am
Jon

Post by Jon »

Personally, I fail to understand why anybody would want to spend 3 years in uni anyway just to get Qs for a deskjob.
The Best Is Yet To Come
RobT

Post by RobT »

Jon wrote:Personally, I fail to understand why anybody would want to spend 3 years in uni anyway just to get Qs for a deskjob.
But who says that people at Uni always go onto desk jobs? I'm doing a Computer studies degree which basically means a "sit on your arse" job. There is no way i'm going to do a "sit on your arse" job. I plan to join the Infantry when i leave...the only reason i'm at Uni is to get some qualifications for when i come out into civillian life so i wont be a Jobless wonder and get fit in the mean time.

Many people have the same idea as me.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Lets' haave a re-cap. In the mid-80's unemployment was through the roof. The tories have a good idea: let's encourage children into university so we can cut down on the unemployment figures. Result: a massive boom in university placements. It was one of the biggest growing 'industries' at the time.

F.Fwd to the late 90's. Universities are now accepting students who get Grade E at 'A' level to keep up their 'per capita' funding. :x
If such students find A levels hard what chance have they got of getting anything valuable from further academic study?

Now costs are spiralling out of control. Academically ill-equipped students are studying 'mickey mouse' degrees. Answer: try and price them out of the market so they won't go - ergo costs will reduce.

We should be focussing on students who are academically suited to university study. Not trying to get as many in as possible. And with plumbers in London earning £100K who says the skilled craftsman need be less well off than a graduate?
kwew

Post by kwew »

i like the fees idea, if you want an extra bit of education you should pay your own way. it would stop people going and doing mickey mouse degrees so those that come out with the debt can get a decent job and be able to pay it off. plus these days most the jobs that people go into have nothing to do with the degree they have which proves the degree isnt needed
RobT

Post by RobT »

Sisyphus wrote:
Universities are now accepting students who get Grade E at 'A' level to keep up their 'per capita' funding. :x
If such students find A levels hard what chance have they got of getting anything valuable from further academic study?

lol thats me. Apart from i got ...C,E,E. Can't be that bad if i got a C huh?!
kwew

Post by kwew »

Then theres people like me A B B (Bio,chem,Phys) but i didnt go to university i had accepted a place at medical school, but it wasnt what i wanted to do i just did it, i knew it wouldnt interfere with my application to the military and it was a bit of a confidence boost.
RobT

Post by RobT »

Smartypants :o

What are you up to now then Knew?
kwew

Post by kwew »

im working for my dad at the moment in the steel business, its ok for now but im in the process of applying for officer entry to the RM, POC 9th feb. In a way i wish i did go to university even just for a year, to experince it, but i know what i want and i must stay focused :D
the only thing i have against top up fees is that i could understand if the tories put foward the idea but not Labour the two parties have become interchangable and for me the next election will be a hard choice, the main parties should look at the reasons why extreme parties (BNP) are making such gains, the people are unhappy and are not satisfied with the current crop.
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

I think kwew touched on a major problem here; the idea of tuition fees is becoming more of a party political tool than a proposal to enhance education. Tony Balir has said that the variability is non negotiable, insistent that he's right. The Tories are opposing it simply to oppose the government, and a fair amount fo Labour support is geared simply towards avoiding Conservative gains. All in all, it's getting difficult to tell if more than a handful of politicians are judging this entirely on its merits :(.

For myself, I think the idea is good in principle, but the costs involved are too great for the students. I'd be happier seeing a more government financed idea (after all, the entire country benefits from a well educated workforce and the direct output from universities), though in return for making universities more sensible. Ie: no pointless degrees but ones which can actually be used by British business and society.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
Tab

Post by Tab »

At 14 I was working a 13 hour day, now I have no objection to some of the worthwhile University course's being paid for. What I do object to are these University course where they study soap operas on television, there seems to be so many courses that are not worth the paper they are written on. To me it seems a Labour party gimmick to keep the kids of the street and fiddle the unemployment figures. Courses like the sciences,maths, English, to name but a few have an end result, but so many of these courses are pure rubbish and if students want to have a three year holiday at University then they should pay towards it.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

RobT wrote:lol thats me. Apart from i got ...C,E,E. Can't be that bad if i got a C huh?!
Rob,

Hope I didn't offend. :oops: If you're off to Uni, good luck. If not, good luck, anyway.

And, no it's not bad. Better than me, anyway. I left school with no O' Levels. Now I've 'clever' enough to get a First Class Degree; an Upper Second and I've started a third. But, actually, I'm having a pause: my last module was two yrs ago. I'm frazzled, my head hurts and I'm having a break. :-? :robot:

Anyway, it's not what you start out in life with it's what you end up with that counts.
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

I was looking into getting a history degree at Uni while I'm in the TA, but when I saw the cost of some course's :o :o. Well lets just say I was surprised to say the least, but I'm really into history so i'm going to see what kind of courses are out there.

These are the courses I have been looking at doing ?

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/subjects ... _page.shtm
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]