Share This Page:

Partner AWOL help!!

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
hayleylouise87

Partner AWOL help!!

Post by hayleylouise87 »

Hi all :)

My first time here I hope somebody can help.

Basically my partner has been AWOL from the army for about 90 days, last night the police came and arrested him and he has been in court this morning. What happens next? I assume he will end up in Colchester and have pay docked etc however, this is the 2nd time he has been AWOL in about 2 years could he be discharged? He has been in the army 6 years.

He suffers from depression/ nightmares since coming back from Afghanistan where he lost 7 of his platoon in as many days including his cousin who he was very close to and the reason he joined up in the first place. He also suffers from guilt as the night some of them died he had D&V and so he couldn't take out the stretcher, his friend who took over went out to help and he died.

He went to counseling twice and was on antidepressants for 2 months then stopped but it clearly hasn't helped him. Would the OC take any of this this in to consideration? He's not well but I do wonder if he would mention this to them.

I hope to hear from somebody soon!

x
timex

Re: Partner AWOL help!!

Post by timex »

Hi Hayley, if your boyfriend has been AWOL his pay will already have been stopped what happens now is up to the Army. (The Civvy court will have him handed over to the Army as its an Army problem).

Next thing is the decision by the Army wether to prosecute or release him, I'd suggest if its the former then he needs to get himself a good lawyer. If its the latter then I'd suggest he needs serious help from the various groups set up to support people like your b/f. Even though he has problems he still needs to explain why he has gone AWOL instead of seeking help from the Medical branch.

Try these as they are specific to the Military.

http://www.combatstress.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Militarymedi ... ealth.aspx

http://www.veterans-uk.info/mental_health/faq.html
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

I was told as a rule of thumb he will get 1-2 days in Colchester for every day he was AWOL, before being discharged. His case is obviously more complex than 'rule of thumb'. The Army have an obligation to help him overcome his pschological problems, and you could argue that they have been neglegent in that, thus leading to him going AWOL. I suggest getting in touch with a good lawyer ASAP.

Hope everything turns out ok!
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Er Mike, check the date on the original post...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

Hyperlithe wrote:Er Mike, check the date on the original post...
Realised after I posted! sorry :-(

How embarassing! :-\
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)