Share This Page:

Public Sector Pensions.

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Wholley

Public Sector Pensions.

Post by Wholley »

My pension is paid by the Good Ole USA but I can see the point in strike action by teachers and other public sector employees.Never thought I would agree with striking as I'm a dye'd in the wool conservative republican.
How far do you all think this is going to go?
Are you looking at Green Goddesses again?
(the nasty green Bedfords with pathetic two cycle pumps for those who don't remember)
Last major strike I was involved with was the Teamsters when some people ended up in the concrete of the Cross Bronx Expressway. 8)
Tab

Re: Public Sector Pensions.

Post by Tab »

Well women wanted equal rights and to have the same conditions as the men, but still want to retire early on the same pension. Now I worked for 51 years and why should I pay higher taxes so that a teacher can retire after thirty years work on a full pension. This will mean that they will retire just after they have turned fifty and will have access to a fully funded pension paid for mainly by the tax payers for the next thirty to forty years. When the queen was crowned in 1953 she was sending around 300 telegrams a year for those who had lived to be 100 years old, now it is close to 5,000 and with the progress of modern medicine this figure will carry on climbing which means a person will draw there pension for far longer than they ever worked, and they don't want to fund it or to work any longer and they think that this is fair. Now if they wish to pay more in its one thing but they are just taking the p1ss. Also when you work out just how long a teacher works per year with the holidays and training days Bank Holidays and half terms plus polling days and all the other fiddles they work then I think they have a cheek.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I don't think this business is just for women or teachers.
Do you pay higher taxes just so a teacher can retire at 66?
No,you don't.Like me you have your retirement.Young people are going to suffer from this English governments ineptitude.And those young people will be the teachers of the furture.
Unless they see sense and bugger off to the Antipodes or the US(like me) :D
ofens

Post by ofens »

Isn't it funny how years ago, a man's salary was enough to support his family, with the wife keeping the home in order while he worked.
Then women got their rights to work, and now you have both partners working full time often struggling to make ends meet.
And all the while benefits fraudsters mince about town in their tracksuits, with sky TV and a 3 bedroom house and 2 cars etc. all paid for by the taxes of the hardworking.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

If the teachers can retire early so that other people can have their jobs then why does this not apply right across the board. Also the money paid in by the teachers does not cover their pensions, so the public pay it in taxes, which includes me. Also the teachers I saw wanted to retire while in their 50's which means they will only pay into the pension fund for 30 years. If can pay in for my pension for 51 years then I think I should get more than some one that only pays in for 30.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Teachers are NOT retiring early,thats my point really.
This from an old friend.
"I'm going to pay an extra £74 a month and I cant quit until I'm 66"
As to pension payments of course you don't pay in as much as you get out.
Thats why the government"borrows"your payments.Simple interest until they can't afford to pay you back for using your money for fifty odd years.
Legalised mugging,just like most insurance.

Off me soap box :wink:
Just cannot understand how the British put up with this crap.
Guess I'm lucky to have left England when I did.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Another odd thing on pensions is that you only have to pay in for 44 years to get a full state pension, but if you work longer they still take your money but don't increase your pension.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Tab,
do you have a choice as to when you can draw your pension or is it just paid when you hit 65?
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

hmmm........ but let's keep quiet about everyone's army pensions while this is all kicking off shall we..... :wink:

'All' you need to do is put in 22 years service and then you have a pension for life, which is bumped up to 'full pension' at 55..... :drinking: It doesn't mean you don't have to work again when you leave/get booted out when you hit 40, but it certainly takes some of the pressure off when you're looking for that high-flying well-paid job in civvy street.

The problem is, some people in civvy street see army pensions in the same way that Tab is making in his comments about teacher's pensions.......
Tab wrote:Also the money paid in by the teachers does not cover their pensions, so the public pay it in taxes, which includes me. Also the teachers I saw wanted to retire while in their 50's which means they will only pay into the pension fund for 30 years..
During my 22 years I CERTAINLY wouldn't have contributed enough into the pot to be covering my pension till I die. The public are paying it in their taxes.... (Cheers easy....... :lol: )
Tab wrote:If can pay in for my pension for 51 years then I think I should get more than some one that only pays in for 30.
I think we need to separate 'State Pension' from what would be a 'Teachers Pension' which would, like the military pension, be over and above the State Pension...

btw I work for the council now so am one of the dreaded 'Public Sector Shirkers' (No I'm not part of the Union so haven't been on strike)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Wholley.....You get it at the moment when you are 65 full stop
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

So let us say that someone in the army plans to retire as a WO1/Major (delete as appropriate) when they've done their 22 years.

After doing 18 years, HMG change their pension rules; instead of the pension being based on a WO1/Major's (delete as appropriate) salary, it is now going to be based on an average of that paid over their entire service, X years as a private, y years as a lance-jack, z years as a full-screw, etc..

That is what has been done to the teachers and a lot more besides. After the UK withdraws from Afghanistan, they will do the same to the military.

Don't like it? Tough, get a job in a private sector army, there is going to be a man-power surplus in the military before too long once the bean counters descend again....
Tab

Post by Tab »

I notice that the MP's are not covered by this review, and that no chages have been suggested for their pensions
owdun

Post by owdun »

Saw a good suggestion in the paper yesterday.Give all Public sector workers a 3% rise,then pass the administration of their pensions to the Unions to invest and fiddle with ,and see how well they do.Browns raid on the private pension schemes run by major companies in engineering etc,ruined the finest pensions set up in the world,while he used the cash raised to boost public sector pay and pensions,there were no Unions squawking about that robbery,so,fcukem,let them suffer the same as the the guys who really pay the piper.

Owdun. :evil: