Share This Page:

Travel to US with police caution

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
flighty

Travel to US with police caution

Post by flighty »

I have booked and paid for a 3 night stay in New York in February for me and my kids. One of us received a police caution 3 years ago for reasons not needed to be disclosed on here. Our tickets are straight forward there and back and hotel included. I can't make any sense, however, about visas. I've been on all the official websites and they are so ambiguous I can't make sense of them as to whether or not the recipient of said caution needs a visa for a short stay or not.

Anyone been there, done that?
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Dont you just fill in the visa paperwork on the plane. I always have done?
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
flighty

Post by flighty »

You might well have done. I certainly did that on our trip to Florida several years ago. I am getting mixed messages. The guy from the travel firm says chance it. Others say don't risk it and apply for a visa! Which apparently adds another £200 quid to the trip and ten weeks to get the effin thing. Gawd!!!!
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

think if ir was a major offence then declare it however if its trivial which as its a cuation I think it will be you should be fine as normal

Unless you were very very lucky and got a caution for a major bullion heist??
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Wholley

Post by Wholley »

In the view of the Dept.of Homeland Security which is the parent agency of the Transportation Safety Aurthority a minor,non terror related caution requires no special measures by a British Citizen to enter the US.
I found some info on the US Embassy site but it's like swimming through treacle.
I would'nt worry.
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

After having just come back from the USA, and needing to get a visa, as I am on a South African passport, I can tell you that if you hold a British Passport, you fall under the visa waiver program, and won't need to apply for a visa.
With a caution on your name, you should also not have a problem. You'll get a green card to fill in, on the aeroplane, which will ask if you have criminal convictions and/or have been involved in any acts of terrorism etc etc etc ... which I'm hoping you haven't :lol: ... but there's nothing about cautions etc

You will need to apply for this though : http://www.visitusa.org.uk/visitors/esta.aspx before visiting the states, if you fall under the visa waiver program.
It should take you to the application page : https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Lastly, enjoy the states!!! I loved it and am back there in January for 3 weeks!
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." - Winston Churchill
flighty

Post by flighty »

Wholley, you are right about the US Embassy site. I like to think I am a reasonably well-educated individual but it did not make any sense to me at all unless you fit precisely into one of their very precise boxes. :o

At this late stage we are just going to have to run the gauntlet and hope that my caution for the major bullion heist will not ping the buzzer at Newark International! :lilangel:

Good to see you, Wholley. :wink: :wink:
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Just in casae you do get Nicked going through customs

Why not tell me where the loot is and I will keep it safe till you get out honest

flighty

Post by flighty »

Second bridge under A 500. Take a left then a right then another right. Hang a left and then another left. Give me a shout if you get stuck . :drinking:
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

thanks mate have a good holiday

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

flighty wrote:Second bridge under A 500. Take a left then a right then another right. Hang a left and then another left. Give me a shout if you get stuck . :drinking:

A500 you say? :wink:

Haven't spoke in a while flighty! how’s everything at your end, hope all is well!

hope you have a good time on your travels

Stokey
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Flighty

Can't you ring the nearest US High Commission/Embassy/Visa issuing dept. and check it out with them? You could even tell them the exact nature of the caution and get the 'official' stance - if for no other reason than peace of mind.

I've travelled a lot but the US immigration officials I've encountered were the surliest, most unhelpful individuals I've ever met - but maybe I've just been unlucky. I'd certainly wouldn't want to give them the slightest excuse to be awkward.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Do they actually check up on everyone that travels into America? I mean if you weren't to tell them about the caution would they find out? For something as minor as that Im sure there wont be a problem anyway but what they dont know cant do any harm?

Have a nice holiday Flighty, Iv never been to New York but Florida has to be the best holiday ever :lol:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sisyphus wrote:Flighty

Can't you ring the nearest US High Commission/Embassy/Visa issuing dept. and check it out with them? You could even tell them the exact nature of the caution and get the 'official' stance
Once I get up off the floor from laughing and wipe the coffee off the keyboard.....Have you ever tried talking to an actual person at the US Embassy?
There are'nt any.
Just computers dressed in polyester suits with indefineable mid-west accents.
It is all written down somewhere,you just need a year or two to find it.
Even as a US citizen I've never managed to speak to a person,well maybe apart from the Marine outside.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Er, no.

I'm not sure whether the Embassy would be the right place anyway which is why I did the xxx/xxx/xxx thing.

I suppose the other way is to write to the Visa Dept and ask for the definitive position. Hopefully, they wouldn't take the 10 weeks flighty mentioned for visas to go through.

And before you ask - no, I've never written to the US Immigration/Visa dept. either! :wink: